Urology Community
I think it's a UTI. How long can I wait?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I recently went in for STI testing (my boyfriend though something was up with him so we both got tested to be safe). I had no symptoms at the time so they didn't give me any treatment. The results aren't back yet but I've been having painful symptoms for a few days now. I think it's a UTI. My results are not due back for another 4-5 days. Should I wait until then to see what they are or should I go back to the clinic and tell them about my symptoms and ask for some antibiotics? I don't want to wait so long that I have permanent damage. If I do wait, I will have had symptoms for 2 weeks by the time I can even make an appointment.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The symptoms can be due to urinary tract infection. To diagnose a UTI please get a complete urine examination and urine culture done. Women who use diaphragms for birth control, and/or are past menopause are at an increased risk for urinary tract infections. Making a diagnosis of a urinary tract infection includes performing a urinalysis test, which checks for the presence of pus, white blood cells, and bacteria in the urine, which point to a urinary tract infection. A urine culture and sensitivity is usually performed to find the exact microorganism that is causing the infection and to determine the most effective antibiotic to treat it. Your doctor needs to repeat a culture sensitivity test of the urine to prescribe the best possible antibiotic so that the infection does not come back.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.