Urology Expert Forum
IC, new drug: ELMIRON, need help!!!!!!!!
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

IC, new drug: ELMIRON, need help!!!!!!!!

I have not been technically diagnosed with IC, the urologists I've seen can't explain my pain so they are treating me like an IC patient.  I have recently been put on a new drug called Elmiron.  Can you tell me anything about it?  Does it work?  Is there any new or other treatments for IC that I should know about?  Is surgery possible?  Does this pain ever go away?  Please help.
-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Kristen
Thanks for you questions. N.Howe has the correct information about  Elmiron but only about 20-30% show clinical benefit after 3-6 months therapy.  Fifty percent of women have spontaneous resolution of their symptoms on an average of 18 months.  The only surgical treatment for patients is hydrodistention. you are put to sleep and the bladder is over filled with fluid.   This bladder stretching has been reported as one of the most effective treatments. This may need to be repeated periodically.    Please use the Medhelp site search function to retrieve lots of information about interstitial cystitis , prognosis, diets and medical treatments for interstitial cystitis patients.
More individualized  IC care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians