Urology Expert Forum
IVP and my Kidneys

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

IVP and my Kidneys
I had a IVP done today and I noticed that one of my kidneys didn't light up with the contrast.  My left kidney show only a little bit of flow with the contrast...while the right kidney light up all over and show the whole shape.
Why my lest kidney was so dark in all of the x-ray with contrast?
I have been passing kidney stone...
My bladder and my urethra are in constant pain.
Why my lesf kidney didn't light up?
Thank you, Damaris
An IVP is a test that uses contrast agent (dye) that is injected into a vein to outline the kidneys, ureters and bladder on an X-ray. A urologist is likely to order this test if a patient complains of pain in their side, blood in the urine (hematuria) or any stone-related symptoms.

If one of the kidneys doesn't light up, it may suggest a blockage of the artery leading to that kidney (i.e. renal artery stenosis).  Further testing to evaluate this would include an MRA of the artery or a spiral CT scan with angiography.  These tests can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0