Urology Community
Im an MA needing some personal medical answers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I have renal calcification that since february has been hurting me.   I didnt know until I went to the doctor the third time today that i even had renal calcification, but my symptoms are unbearable.  My right side lower right back is a pain much like when you run water logged.  sharp pain in my side when i push it it feels better.  besides the pain i have experienced tremors, migranes (migraines), vomiting, can not focus easily.  Whatever this is really is impacting my life and I dont understand it and have gotten to where I do not trust my doctor.  Please help me understand this and help me with what to say to my doctor to get him to treat what i have not my symptoms. and to not tell me i shouldnt feel pain when I do.  I dont want pain killers I want to know whats wrong and fix it.
Renal calcification means that you have kidney stones.

When you are in so much pain with the tremors, migraines, etc, it is likely that you have an infection and will need an antibiotic from your doctor to treat the infection.

When the stone or stones move, they scratch inside and then infection sets in.  If the stones do not move, you will have no symptoms at all.  You may also experience wind pains in the belly, this is called renal colic.

Your doctor should really send you to a urologist, and also a blood test for kidney function and either ultrasound or xray.  

All you can do, apart from the antibiotic for any infection, is take pain relief and rest and drink plenty of water to help the stone move out.  It can take months.  The stone can be any size as as small as a grain of sand.  The reason you should be referred to the urologist is that sometimes the stone gets stuck and the urologist can determine which is the best way for it to be removed.

If you do not have a home testing kit of urine reagine strips, you can check the state of your urine by urinating in a clear clean jar.  If the urine is dark and smelly (like kidneys), this will mean there is blood in the urine.  If it is dark and cloudy or like coloured and cloudy this will indicat that there is an infection.

When you go to see your doctor take a sample of urine with you so that he can check it out by using the reagent strips or sending it to the laboratory to identify the bacteria causing the infection so that you can be prescribed with the appropriate antibiotic.

Make sure you drink about 3 litres of water a day, more if you are sweating, working out (I doubt that as yu feel ill) and if the weather is hot.

If you get so bad that you cannot tolerate the pain anymore go to the hospital accident and emergency.

My stones took nearly a year to pass, but one got stuck in the urer and had to be surgically removed.