Urology Community
Immediate Urination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Immediate Urination

When I drink water (I usually drink only water) I have to urinate very shortly afterwards.  I drink approximately 800 ml (27 oz.) to 1200 ml (40 oz.) of water daily which isn't an excessive amount.  I am 50 years old.  It seems like the water runs through my system very quickly.  Does that seem indicative of a problem or simply that my body doesn't need the water?
Hi there,
Since you mention that you feel the need to urinate very frequently and especially after drinking water I suspect that you suffer from a condition called Polyuria which essentially means the increased frequency of micturition or urination.
There are several causes of polyuria like diabetes, hormone imbalances, renal failure etc with the most common being diabetes.
However a sense of urgency or increased frequency can be seen in individuals with a urinary tract infection too.
I recommend that you have yourself evaluated by your primary care physician.
Please do if you have any further queries do get in touch with me or with details of your visit.
Regards,
Dr Sylvester
Thank you for your comments.

I've been considering the possibility of a hormonal imbalance based on my low energy level, difficulty awakening and difficulty concentrating.  I also seem to have a low body temperature.  My symptoms seem to be seasonal - most severe in the winter, minimal in the spring.

My primary care physician sent me to a psychiatrist with a guess diagnosis of seasonal affective disorder.  I tried wellbutrin, pristiq and St. John's Wort, but had no positive effects.  I have responded to Adderall (adderrall) which does give me apparent energy, but doesn't address the cause of the problem.  Based on the effects of the treatments the psychiatrist does not believe that I have an emotional or depression related disorder.  He thinks it may be metabolism related.

Based on your comments it seems that the urination problem may be related to my brain fog problem.

I will be getting a blood test to check thyroid function.
Even I agree with your psychiatrist the issue seems to be hormone related. Its good that you are getting a thyroid level tested but I do not think that this would be abnormal assuming the fact that you have only polyuria.
Other hormones like aldosterone and anti-diuretic hormone play a much more significant role in controlling the excretion of urine.
Probably a detailed hormonal assay level would help you. Please return to your family physician with these issues and do let him/her know that the visit to the psychiatrist was not too fruitful.
If you have any further queries do get in touch with me.
Regards,
Dr Sylvester
Thank you, again.