Urology Community
In Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

In Pain

I have been suffering with pain for 2 months now. I went to the ER 5 times and was prescribed 3 different antibiotics and given antibiotics in house for STDs that came back with a negative result. In early November, I had a UTI and was  given Cipro for 3 days. That did not help. I went back and they gave me Cipro for 10 days. That did not help. Then they gave me Levaquin for 7 days. I finished all of the antibiotics but I am still experiencing flank pain (upper abdominal, lower pelvic area, and upper and lower back). I also still have White Blood Cells in my urine. Even though I took all of these meds, can it be that I still have a UTI , kidney infection or kidney disease? I am in the process of getting a renal and pelvic sonogram but it is a long time from now because of the holidays. Please help! Pain is unbearable.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Your symptoms could be due to UTI, or urinary tract infection. The infection could be at any level from bladder to ureter to kidney. It could also be due to a stone in the urinary tract. What you need is a urine culture and sensitivity test done. You can also give it for culture and sensitivity in a sterile bottle provided by the lab. This will tell you what organism is causing the infection and what antibiotic will kill it permanently. Please do not take cipro or any antibiotic without this test because if the organism is not sensitive to it, then it will become only act temporarily.

The sonogram should capture the stone, if there is one. Since you have a flank pain, chances of stone are more. There is nothing much you can do for the pain, except take pain killers. Maybe you should discuss this with your doctor and see how best you can arrange an earlier treatment  and diagnosis.
Do let me know if there is any thing else you want to know and please keep me posted. Take care!