Urology Community
Incontinence Prevention...?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Incontinence Prevention...?

A few months ago, I was put on a medication that has incontinence as a side-effect of prolonged use.  I wasn't supposed to be on it for very long but it seems I will now be taking it for longer than originally intended.
I've already noticed that I'm needing to use the bathroom with an unsettling frequency.  I'm 18 years old.
Is there anything I can do to prolong this process or attempt to prevent it altogether?
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. With incontinence/ increased frequency of urine, causes other than medication side effect such as hormonal/ endocrine issues, neuro-muscular issues etc may need to be ruled out. If the medication is found to be the cause it may need to be substituted by other medications that have the desirable effects but lack the side effects, or counteract the side effect with other medications. It would be best to discuss the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hi!  Thanks for responding :)

I've been prescribed ketamine for depression.  Bladder problems are a common issue for people who take ketamine, but because it's usually used as a party drug the most common response is to just stop taking it.
This is just to hold me over until there's a better solution that I haven't tried yet.
When I'm off I'll see if there's anything I can do to repair all this-

Thanks very much!