Urology Expert Forum
Incontinence after TURP

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Incontinence after TURP

I am a 59 year old with an enlarged prostate, tried several medications and procedures. My Dr finally said that I should have the TURP procedure. The  foley catheter was removed today and I have no control over urination. I called the Dr and was told that this can happen, I asked what I could do and was told, do nothing it should clear up in about a week or two.

Is this normal?
HI,  I assume you had symptoms of an enlarged prostate pre-surgery.  If you have "no control"  post op it could be one of four things going on:  (1) You could be in retention (not emptying your bladder when you urinate) causing urinary frequency, urgency and incontinence.  Your urologist should have checked for this as a source of your symptoms post-op.  (2) You could have overactive bladder that either started post-op or is persistent from pre-surgenry  That is treated with a pill to help resolve the symptoms until the prostate/bladder heals.  (3)  There could be a weakness in your sphincter muscle that controls voiding post -op caused by the surgery.  Usually the problem resolves 1-3 months post op.  This is treated with Kegal exercises to speed up the strengthing of the sphincter muscle.  (4) Some combination of the above. Your Urologist should be able to sort out what the problem is and institute treatment. The TURP has a very good long term success rate, so your chances of full recovery is high.  Good Luck.