Urology Expert Forum
Incontinence

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Incontinence

Hi, I was just diagnosed with stress incontinence a few weeks ago. The incontinence started right after I had low back surgery for high-grade spondylolisthesis. The urologist thought it was from the nerves in my low back and is sending me back to my neurosurgeon. But I don't see how having surgery a year ago and then having incontinence 6 months after surgery can happen. I was not sure if it's possible that this is a separate issue then my back or not. I am only fifteen and I don't know what treatment options are available if this is a nerve issue, rather than a bladder issue itself.
I am not sure what to do.
Any help? Thanks
A urologist can perform a urodynamic evaluation in which a tube is inserted into your urethra ( the tube through which you urinate) and measure your bladder pressures, learn about your bladder sensation and if you are having any uncontrolled bladder  contractions. Also, information regarding the pressures in your bladder when you are leaking can be obtained. A balloon/catheter is usually inserted into your rectum at the same time as the urethral catheter in order to record abdominal pressures. This would provide some objective evidence as to what is happening to you. There is a subspecialty of "neuro-urology" as well as that of female urology which deal with problems such as you describe.
Fifteen is quite young to have developed the usual type of stree incontinence.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.
Thanks for your answer. I have already had a study done. That's when they diagnosed me. After the study was done they said I did have positive stress incontinence, but they also said that when I void my bladder stops contracting completley, while me urethra continues to do all the work. It was weird because when I did the study it was shown that I have severe incontinence, but on a daily basis I rarley get it, unless I go on the trampoline.
Do you know what I should do next?Thanks
I am not sure that I understand exactly what is going on with your urethra from your explanation. I would recommend that you start doing Kegel's exercises (search the Web for instructions). If you are not already seeing a female urologist (one who specializes in the urologic problems of women), then I would get an evaluation by one. Pregnancy may result in worsening of your incontinence.
Your test findings were different from your everyday experience because  (1) you probably compensate in other ways such as not letting your bladder get too full and (2) the test is not exactly what you go through on a daily basis.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
Oh, okay. Thanks. It's kind of hard to explain; I had trouble understanding what they were telling me about my urethra and bladder. I don't tend on becoming pregnant for a very long time, so I don't see how it could get worse. Do you know what might be causing my bladder to stop contracting when I void?
A related discussion, Foley catheter was started.