Urology Community
Increase in WBC and RBC

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Increase in WBC and RBC

I had a urinalysis done last week which showed WBC. I was put on 1000mg Cipro. A couple days later I developed severe edema in both feet and ankles. Went back to the Dr. for that but they also did another urinalysis. My WBC had doubled and there was now a high level of RBC and positive for blood in urine, neither of which were present before. I had been taking the Cipro and am wondering why the second test a couple days later would actually be worse?
Tags: WBC/RBC
Given your history of WBC and RBC in urine and the symptom of pedal edema, kidney causes should be ruled out. These include infection, pyelonephritis, kidney stones, polycystic kidney disease. Other causes which need to be ruled out include Bladder conditions (cystitis, bladder polyp, bladder tumor), Urethral conditions (Sexually transmitted diseases, urethral injury, vaginal inflammation), and certain bleeding disorders.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.