Urology Community
Increased urge to urinate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Increased urge to urinate

I’m a 23 YO male and have been having ongoing problems with an increased urge to urinate for approximately 12 months now.  The problem can occur at any time regardless of how much or how little I’ve had to drink, and tends to become worse after urination.  Although I don’t urinate any more than normal, the urge still remains.

Initially when the problem started it was only a regular urge, however the problem quickly became worse and on several occasions it became quite painful and felt like I was going to wet myself. On these occasions I could usually only manage a couple of drops which would only mildly relieve the problem. These painful episodes haven’t occurred for some time however I still get the frequent urge to urinate, which can be very distracting.

When I first visited my GP I was tested for STDs, and was given several different medications (for a suspected infection) all of which seemed to have no effect. When I complained further about the problem I was referred to an urologist and had a cystoscopy performed. The urologist didn’t find any problems and told me that further procedures may have a detrimental affect to my sex life and cause further problems. It’s been a couple months since then and I’ve tried to get on with my life but it’s been difficult trying to ignore the problem.

I would appreciate any advice.
Tags: urinate, urge
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Other differentials that may be considered here is urinary incontinence specifically  urge incontinence. This is usually associated with an overwhelming urge that cant be prevented with  involunatry loss of urine.Do you still present with pain? Is the pain  frequent?

You may discuss this with your physician. Some tests may involve ruling out any nerve related problems that may cause the incontinence. EEG, EMG and urodynamic studies may help.

Keep notes of your urinary habits.It will be best to keep a diary wherein the time, character and associated symptoms surrounding urination may be noted. Bring this with you when you seek consult.Also take note of the amount of fluids you take everyday including alcohol and coffee.For the meantime, read on exercises on how to strengthen your pelvic muscles (Kegel Exercises).

Seek consult with your physician and  Keep us posted for anything.
Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify I've never actually had an involuntary loss of urine and generally the urge isn't what I'd consider to be overwhelming. I've only had the overwhelming/painful urge on a couple of occasions and both were over 6 months ago.
Does this information change anything?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I read your initial post once more and you have had STD screening done.What were the results?

Also,your physician peformed a cystoscopy and found everything to be within normal.Was a repeat urinalysis done after medications have been completed?

Do you presently still have the symptoms?

Do keep us postd.