Urology Community
Infections After TURP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Infections After TURP

Hello Doctor,
My dad underwent a TURP procedure on 9/July/2009.  He was kept on irrigation and medication for 3 days and the catheter was removed on 11/July/2009.
He did not relax, went home and kept moving and driving from the very next day.  From day one he was complaining that he is not being able to pass urive comfortably.
On 15/July/09, he got fever and could not pass urine, we rushed him to the hospital, upon diagnosis the urologist found out that there is some kind of blockage, he inserted the catheter and mentioned that while insertion he could feel that there was blockage and that the blockage is removed and within few minutes the urine bag filled up.
My dad was suggested to keep the catheter till 28/JUL/09. Yesterday the doc told us that there is some infection and suggested some medication and to keep the catheter for few more days.
My question is, is this normal after a TURP??? and what do you suggest we should do??
Hi I had a TURP in 1994 at the age of 30 and had an irrigation catheter in for 2 days after that I was discharged.
While at home there was some sort of blockage a few weeks after and I also ended up with a kidney infection. The remark from the urologist was that this must have been a blood cloth from the prostate.

It is possible that your dad has had a blood cloth as well. After a TURP it is important that the bladder is properly irrigated. Any blockage will cause infections of either the urinary tract, kidneys or also epididymitis or orchitis. Ensuring that the bladder drains properly is important. The age of a patient can also be the cause of being more exposed to infections.

I hope that things will heal well and that the srgery is successful.

All the best,

Ron