Urology Community
Inflamed Prostate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Inflamed Prostate

I'm a 26 yo male, and have been having urinary urge issues for about a year now. At first, they started if I had some sort of stimulant, such as caffeine. As time went on, I started having urges to urinate even if I didn't have caffeine or alcohol. I went to a Urologist, and he thought I had prostatitis. I did blood and urine work, and nothing showed up. I went on different antibiotics with no relief (cipro, doxycycline, and some other sulfer based antibiotic). Eventually, I had a cytoscopy, and there were no strictures, just an inflamed prostate.

I did another 4 weeks of antibiotics and my symptoms are still around. I've also been taking saw palmetto, zinc, and beta sisterol to see if it helps. I think it has improved a bit since I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate, but I still have urges to urinate during the day.

The symptoms are strange because if I am at home and comfortable, I usually feel fine. However, if I am in a car, or on a bus, or sitting in class, I noticed that my symptoms show up. My feet get sweaty, and I have an intense urge to urinate.

Is it possible that I am experiencing anxiety and it is increasing the symptoms? What can I do to resolve this? This is really affecting my quality of life because when I am in public, it is all I can think about.

Thanks.  

I know what you mean. I have had similar problems at the age of 23 up to my current age of 44. A urologist told me that it was due to proastatitis.
I have been on numerous amounts of antibiotics (Cipro) and I have also be hospitalized due to this as secondary infections of the urinary tract resulted.

I know that you don't want to hear this, but prostatitis seems to poorly understood.

I did not find that over the counter remmedies seemed to help. Having the constant urge to urinate is more debilitating that what doctors seem to realize.

Good luck,

Ron