Urology Community
Intermittent Burning
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Intermittent Burning

Hello, everyone:

For several years, I have been having an interesting problem. Perhaps once a month, I experience a mild burning sensation starting at the distal end of my urethra and terminating right where I feel my bladder to begin. Again, this is a mild burning and not overly uncomfortable. Shortly after this sensation begins, I will develop a strong urge to urinate. Following urination, the burning is much worse, radiating all along the inside of my urethra and into the bladder. At this point, the sensation is very uncomfortable, sometimes so bad that I have to take a hot shower; the hot water eases the pain.

I initially suspected a UTI, but this is not a consistent problem. Rather, the above cycle happens once and then completely resolves for a significant period of time, usually more than a month. However, it eventually returns.

Some other details: my urine is clear to light yellow and has no odor. This is the case both during the "regular" time when I do not experience pain and the painful episodes themselves. If ejaculation occurs during the episode (i.e., after the initial presentation of minor burning pain), the same transition to *major* burning pain occurs, as when I simply urinate. It takes 45-60 minutes for the pain to resolve in either case, after which time normal urination and sexual function is observed. This problem has been occurring for many years, going back at least ten (I am now 25 years old).

Here are the results of my most recent urinalysis:

Color: yellow
Turbidity: clear
Specific gravity: 1.031
pH: 6.0
Urine protein: trace
Glucose: negative
Ketones: negative
Blood: negative
Nitrates: negative
Leukocytes: negative
Urobilinogen: 0.2