UROLOGY
FORUM
Internal herpes
by Jundith, Dec 01, 2004
Is it possible to have herpes affect internal organ(s) with consistent pain without an outbreak on the skin (as in shingles)?  I have an increasing pain in my left back near the waist for 10 days.  The doctor has ruled out kidney stones and kidney infection.  

I have had herpes cold sores on and off all of my life.  A few years ago I had a different kind of cold sore on my mouth followed by a pain in my back near my spine on the right side.  The doctor said after testing for herpes that my type 2? (genital herpes) result was elevated, not the usual herpes simplex (cold sore variety).  I have never had genital herpes nor has my husband.  I have only had one sexual partner for 40 years.  I tried accupuncture and eventually the pain went away.

Answer:
by Kevin Pho, MDBlank, Dec 02, 2004
These symptoms would be an atypical presenation of herpes.  If that is a concern, a blood test looking for herpes antibodies can be considered.  

Regarding the pain in the back - ensure that the kidneys were appropriately imaged (i.e. via an ultrasound or during the CT scan that you mentioned).  Other possibilities would be musculoskeletal related, and can be further evaluated with an MRI of the back.  

I would discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b