Urology Community
Interstitial Cystitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Interstitial Cystitis

A week before my period, I become sore internally and urination can be a nightmare for me some days.    I am 47.  
I have flareups of Interstital Cystitis and was told that hormones can play a factor in this.  Why and how do hormones affect this condition.
Several years ago, I underwent DMSO treatments for nearly two years. or a little under 2 years.
I take 3 acidophilus tablets daily to keep my bacteria in check as well as eating yogurt at least 3-4 times per week.

Like other readers, intercourse is very painful for me and was prescribed estrogen.
Will the estrogen help alleviate some of the I.C. symptoms as well?

My thanks to you for your help.

i also am 47 have ic for tens yrs take elmiron. right before period also gets worse. now having fare up too.and sex also hurts. my doctor just put me on hdroxyz hope it will help. good luck too you  
I have had ic for 5 years and also have urolgical pain in and around the vagina area. I use ice packs to calm the pain and have used heating pads. I am on elmiron,take prometrium for hormones which helps with sleep also. I have done bio feedback for pain and urgency. I am considering a vestibulectomy to relieve some of the pelvic pain. I was told of this surgery at Mayo Clinic. Hang in there and hope you find relief!! clohr
Before going through the extreme of the vesitbulectomy, please try several things that might help.  It sounds like you, clohr, might also have something called vulvadynia, and there are many treatment for that to try first.  It often goes along with IC, I have this also.  These things can also help with the pain of IC after sex as well!

1. rinse off each time you urinate with a peri bottle.

2.  MAKE SURE to only use mild soap and unscented detergents, not dryer sheets or bleach etc. In anything that touches that are including sheets,

3.LIdocaine gel. Now I personally have to have mine compounded without the preservative since this increase my pain., lidocaine is a wonderful soother.

4.  MSM gel by Jacobs Lab helps tremendously... I have mine compounded with lidocaine and am working with Kevin at Dakota pharmacy to make this available to other too.

5.  IC pads, the size of a feminine pad that can be used in that region:  I have found too one by Smart Choices for Women and a new one called colpac by Empi.

6.  Soaking in a warm bath with baking soda added can help as well.

7. Vaginal suppositories compounded with diazapan , lidocaine and benadryl.  Again Kevin at Dakota pharmacy makes and ships mine to me. The more you buy the more reasonable they are!

I hope that helps you some!

Shelly

Shelly Matthewson
Private Researcher
IC Support Group Leader
Director of MOARK Interstitial Cystitis
****.***
"And we know that all things work together for
good to them that love God, to them who are the
called according to His purpose."Romans8:28

I hope that helps you some!

Shelly

Shelly Matthewson
Private Researcher
IC Support Group Leader
Director of MOARK Interstitial Cystitis
****.***