Irritable Bladder Syndrome
Earlier this year after a bladder ultrasound I was diagnosed with irritable bladder syndrome. I had a trial of amitriptyline 10mg daily to treat the symptoms, but had side effects (weakness and drowsiness affecting my ability to work) even when quartering the tablet (2.5mg). Are there any other treatments my doctor can prescribe to treat this disorder?

You can also try the following:
   Time voiding - voiding by setting a particular time to void as opposed to voiding when you feel the urge.
   Exercises to increase pelvic muscle tone - pelvic floor exercise.
   Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and sitting for prolonged durations.
   Gabapentin can be used as an alternative to the amitryptiline, but has not been approved for use in irritable bladder syndrome in the US. But, you can check with your prescribing doctor.
   Bladder instillation

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
Thanks for your response. I'll ask my Dr re. Gabapentin. At this stage have tried time voiding but the majority of the time am unable to control after the urge begins. Pelvic floor exercises increase frequency of urge to void.
I was having the burning, lower abdominal pain and urgency of a bladder infection, but that has been ruled out. The dr. says it might be aseptic ceptitis and has prescribed Macrobid 100mg until I can get for an ultrasound which is booked for over a month from now.  I think, because I had it before, that it is a simple bladder irritation and I was able to look after it by stopping tea and coffee and lasting it out. Are there any dangers to doing this again?

CC
I have suffered from overactive bladder since 2005 and am again on the medical roundabout as symptoms became unbearable, peeing 50mls every 15 minutes and terrible pain. I take endep 10mg bd and some herbal medications. I have recently cut out all cafeine (I love a cup of tea) :( and soft drinks and no alcohol at all. I have had blood tests, renal ultrasound, Irine workup and will be having a cystoscopy soon. I am seing a physio and do pelvic floor exercises, I am so depressed by this whole situation. Can anybody give me any hope that this will one day get a bit better? I'd be happy with 90 minutes between voids - at least i'd be able to go to the movies!