Urology Community
Is color change in urine exposed to sunlight normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

My niece is very ill and some family members suspect porphyria. She has been tested twice and results were negative . However, it is supposedly very difficult to test for this, and . some are not convinced by the results. We have read that people with certain porphyrias will produce red or purple urine, especially when the sample is placed in the sun. Several of us have tried this with varying results ranging from no change, to pinkish, to tea-colored. My question is- will normal urine change color when exposed to sunlight? Is some slight change normal and does anyone know if porphyria could be present if the urine does not turn purple in the sun? Thanks.