Urology Community
Is it normal to pass tissue after an abortion?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I had an abortion about five days ago and today I passed a piece of tissue (I believe). It was hard and looked like a piece of raw meat the size of small piece of beef stew meat or something. Semi-slimy (sorry about the descriptive description) Is is normal to pass something like that after an abortion occurs? I have some cramps and my bleeding is normal (I do bleed everyday though) Do I need to be worried? Also, I have this itchy urethra and it feels really uncomfortable when I urine. The flesh around the urethra is swollen. What is going on with me? Are these symptoms normal? I am scared that the doctor did not remove everything from inside of me. Please help if you can
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well, there is a possibility that it was a blood clot. This can be expected after an abortion. However, if it was a fleshy mass, then probably the medical termination was not complete and some remains are there left behind in the uterus. You should go back to your gynecologist. Also there is a chance that you have contacted UTI, either due to bleeding or due to the procedure.
Hope this helps. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I had an abortion last January and I passed the same description of tissue you described. I passed it the same night of having the abortion and then again 2 days later before both times I was in excruicating pain every few minutes and after passing the tissue which was accompanied by heavy bleeding then pain went away. After that I bleed for about a week and the pain didnt come back since then everythings been ok. I don't believe it's anything to worry I just think they didnt remove everything so its just passing out naturally. As for the swollen and itchy uretha I advise that you see a doctor asap because that doesnt sound right.