Urology Community
Kidney - CKD Stage 2

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney - CKD Stage 2

Hi! I have CKD Stage 2 (GFR 70). My doctor said it is because of
undetected HTN over the past 10 or 15 years. I'm now on 80mg of
Micardis (arbs) each day. My doctor say's I probably have
nephroscrolosis but that HBP medication should help slow down
the progression of CKD. My question is how long will it take roughly
for my GFR number to enter into the Stage 3 number category? I'm
52 years old.
i would thank  a GFR AT 70 IS GOOD  whats you  creatine??  my gfr is >greater than 60..my creatine is 1.0...i would think ur  gfr  would be alot lower than 70...i could be wrong..i was in stage 2 real failure last December secondary to litiem toxicity..from lack of PO...my gfr was 48 i belive...cronic (chronic) kidney disease  must calculate difft then end stage renal..mail me and explain this...and whats been happing with you  thanks  im james
my serum creatinine fluctuates from 0.9 to 1.1. Last check it was 1.0 My egfr went
down to 63 six months ago but then I had a more accurate gfr reading (drip with blood
test & urine test several times) so my actually reading is gfr 70 - stage 2. If you are down
to gfr 48 that would be CKD stage 3. Are you feeling Ok? Any symptoms? Was the
cause for you long term hypertension? Take care James.
My husband and I just found out that well over a year ago he was stage two and we just found out by accident due to changing doctors, his old pcp was terrible and way to busy to care for individual persons, all he cared about was treat and street, even while my husband was in the hospital for two weeks, his pcp NEVER ONCE STOPPED IN TO SEE HIM, and he ended up going AMA BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF CARE HE WAS GETTING. Now that he has a new pcp, we found out that his gfr was I think about 70 and we had absolutely no idea about this and he has had it for over a year so the new doc told us. Anyway, he has suffered from chronic kidney stones, every single month without missing a beat, and he has had high levels of blood in his urine and all we kept hearing was it was because his bones are basicly crumbling due to " OSTEO AVASCULAR NECROSIS" DEATH OF BONES IN LAYMANS TERMS, his bones were somehow being filtered through his kidney's and causing chronic kidney stones. Now with him already having four total hip replacements and two back operations, and many , too many to count cystoscopies to remove the stones that have been unable to pass on their own. I am so upset and now worried beyond belief because I  was just  released out of the hospital after a twelve day stay in ICU for CHF, Congestive Heart Failure and am going to be on oxygen and in a electric wheelchair and sleeping in a hospital bed in our living room and I will have a much more difficult time taking care of all of his needs. I am told I will be having a home nurse come twice per week and that is all. How do I handle all of this?????
If anyone has ANY IDEAS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP. Thank you and have a Jesus Filled Day to you and yours
Lizzie
an egfr of 70, without any other symtpoms of ckd, and if stable is not a big issue, you should have it checked every 6 motnhs though. Stage 3 commences below 60 with or without other symptoms. What you need to watch is decline, if this is rapid ie over 5 per year (drop of 5) then you need to be concerned. Mine was 90 8 months ago, it was retested as showing blood and protein in urine, fell to 68 within 3 months, retested again after 3 months and had dropped to 53 (stage 3).  bloods showed also anaemia, vit D deficiency. urine shows protein and blood. have also started restless legs and annoying itchy skin. was suprised to learn the last two are symptoms of ckd.  many doctors dont refer till egfr 40, however the speed of the decline ie over 37 points in 8 months, suggests rapid decline and so seeing neph next month
egfr of 48 is stage 3 ie under 60 is stage 3
hi cant estimate how long it can take to get to stage 3 etc, it can take many many years! or just  a few short months. My egfr was 80, then 68 then 53 in less than 8 months I went from 1 to 2 and then 3.  generally a drop of over 5 per year signifies need for referal. It is usual not to have symptoms till into stage 3 so dont let feeling great fool you. 70 is pretty good if there are no symptoms, but at 52 i would keep an eye on it ie monitor every 6 months to ensure no decline. You cant stop it declining but can slow it down most of the time. As I said though, it may be several years before stage 3, it depends on the underlying cuase. I am 50 also but had bladder removed so have an ileal conduit, therefore hundreds of kidney infections, so rapid decline is unfortunate but expected. While 70 is pretty good, it could be an early warning signal ie regardless of what you think, 52 is pretty young!!!! not uncommon in over 75 population apparently to have low egfr with a drop of 2 per year!!!! we not near that age yet so take care!
I thnk it sounds like, as yours was secondary and now egfr right back up, that you had acute kidney disease ie not chronic perhaps??? having just been diagnosed as stage 3 I am pretty new at all this but have been doing lots of depserate reading and fast lol. stage 1 is egfr 90 but with some symptoms ie no symptoms is consdiered a normal egfr . 60-90 with symptoms is considered stage 2, 30- 60, with or without symptoms  is stage 3. 15-30 stage 4 and less than 15 ESKD. some in stage three may have symptoms and some not. Be wary though, I put many of my symptoms down to other things!!!!!! they are wide and varied, even resltess legs!!! (which are a pain the the a...e. Time of refferal vaires ie some wait till stage4 but in some cases early referal is needed. for dialysis you need a fistula and this takes 6 months too mature and so cant be used till then. If it is rapid decline then should refer at stage 3, I see a nephrologist next month for frist time and am praying he can slow it down. dropping this fast is frightening!  I found this page a useful guide re stages
http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/gfr/tab/test