Urology Community
Kidney Blockage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney Blockage

My doctor ordered a CT scan to find the cause of pain in my lower abdomen, back, side, and genitals. I was sent to a urologist who told me that the ureter from my right kidney was being blocked due to a genetic problem that had been building up over time.  I also have 6 large kidney stones because of the blockage.  He put in a stent and the symptoms were gone.  Now, it is being highly recommended that I have surgery next.  They plan to remove the damaged section of my ureter and reconnect it to my kidney.  I have several questions about this.  First, Is this a common problem? I have found very little info on this.  Second, What is the name for this surgery? Next, Is it effective?  Finally, There is one doctor in my home state of Montana that can do this Laparoscopically and he claims this to be a very difficult procedure.  Is this really the case?  Like I said before,  I cannot find much info on this procedure and any info would help.  Thank you very much.