UROLOGY
FORUM
Kidney Calcification
by missy26, May 29, 2007
I have not been urinating very frequently and I finally had a CT scan done.  The following was found:

A calcification seen in the interpolar area posteriorly of the left kidney which looks like a devloping calculus.  Size .5cm in diameter.

Where exactly is this located?
Is 5cm big or small?
Could this be causing the reduced urination, possibly a blockage?

Any suggestions on what if anything I should do with this information.

Thanks!
Answer:
by Kevin Pho, MDBlank, May 30, 2007
The kidney stone is located in the back of the left kidney.  0.5cm is a small stone, but certainly big enough to cause symptoms.

If it was big enough to cause a urinary obstruction, there would have been swelling of the kidney that would be seen on the CT scan.

Most kidney stones pass on their own, however I would be evaluated by a physician to ensure no other intervention needs to be done for the stone.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
by TintinPC, Jul 10, 2007
0
by 5685993, Apr 07, 2010
A related discussion, kidney calcification was started.