Urology Community
Kidney Disease, and Cystitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney Disease, and Cystitis

My son was diagnosed at birth with Infantile Polycystic Kidney Disease.  We were told he would only live a few months (this was at Toronto Sick Kids Hospital).  He is now 36, and has done well.
However, for the last 6 months, he has been ill. Symptoms include
an overwhelming, constant urge to void; fatigue, varying levels of discomfort, stress, hypertension, (he has been put on medication), a distended abdomen, medication to help him sleep at night, and general malaise.  The Urologist has done a Cystoscopy; says the prostate is beginning to grow into the urethra; the PSA is normal.  He thinks my son is suffering from
Interstitial Cystitis.  He prescribed medication for an "Overactive Bladder."  This did not seem to help at all.  He has encouraged a low acid diet.  He says he does not think this present problem is connected to the Polycystic Kidney Disease, and so, other than doing an Ultrasound of the abdomen, has not done any further investigation.  He has said if the diet seems to be working, there is a medication he can give my son.
My question is: Is there a possibility that the two things are connected, and should further investigation be done on my son's
kidneys?  If so, what would you suggest be done.
Thank you,
Sika
I would like to say that the symptoms that you have here is the problem I have been having for a few months now and i'm scared to go to the doctors. I have horrible lower back pains where I can't sit for too long, constant utis, horrible bloating in my stomach I look like i'm 4 months pregnant and I am little, if you find out please help. I'm trying to figure what this is I don't have insurance to see a doctor but i'm very scared because its getting worse. Thank you
FROM EXPERIENCE I AM CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH THE SAME THINGS. IT HAS TAKEN ME ALMOST 7YRS. FOR THEM TO SAY I HAVE IC AND KIDNEY ISSUE. FROM THE EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD AND THE PAIN I HAVE LIVED THROUGH GET A SECOND OPINION AND GO TO THE BEST DOC AROUND YOU WANT BE SORRY. THE ANSWER TO YOUR QA IS THEY CAN BE AND ARE PROBABLY 2 DIFFERENT ISSUE FROM MY EXPERIENCE.
I was diagnosed with kidneypoly cystitis and I have a lower back pain.the urine and blood tests shows that my kidneys are normal.My stomach is growing bigger,my feet are swelling.The urologist says the cystitis cannot be healed is something I must live with for the rest of my life,he mentions that the kidney may stop workig.Is the medication or any cue in these regard?Frans S Moimane,South Africa