Urology Expert Forum
Kidney Donor Creatinine Lebels
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Kidney Donor Creatinine Lebels

I'm a male 46 and finally decided to have a physical, I'm in generally good health, nonsmoker, not over weight. Five years ago I donated a Kidney to my son. Last week my lab work came back with a creatinine level of 1.4,  GFR-Black 70, GFR-Other 58,  and my BUN 16.
After the transplant I remember coming out of the Hospital with a creatinie level I think of 1.7 , I have not had any follow up to speak of. Prior to donating my level was 1.
Now my doctor has orderd lots of tests and I'm wondering if these are unnecessary?  What is normal range of creatinine for a kidney donor or someone with one kidney? My doctors is looking at a chart that says .7 - 1.2 ?    
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
The normal range for a creatinine would vary depending on the patient.  If it is rising from your baseline, than it is cause for concern.  

Further testing, including a 24-hr urine study as well as imaging the kidney should be considered.  Looking at the urine sediment under the microscope should be considered as well.  

The most definitive test would be a kidney biopsy, and should be considered if the initial tests remain inconclusive.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, High creatinine was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank