Urology Community
Kidney Infection resistant to Cipro?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney Infection resistant to Cipro?

I am a 22 year old female generally in good health. No significant health problems. Not currently taking any medication. No allergies.

I have had two kidney stones in the past both requiring litotripsy. My last kidney stone was considered very large and was taken out by lithotripsy procedure in November 2008. No previous history of UTI or Kidney infection or problems to my knowledge.

In March 2009, I was urinating blood (large amounts) and had burning with urination. I thought everything would go away but after 2 days, it was unbearable. I was urinating what looked to be straight blood, had burning with urination and lasted for several hours after urinating, pain under my ribs, and blurry vision. No fever. I went to the ER and the doctor did tests and said I "had a raging kidney infection." He also stated that my blurry vision could be due to the infection. He put me on Cipro 250mg X 10 days. The symptoms improved, but never really got better. One week after finishing cipro, I had a routine appt with my gynecologist and had her check for a UTI. She said there was still a little bit of an infection and prescribed Cipro 250 mg x 5 days. Again, the symptoms were less severe but never fully disapeared. I am STILL having troubles.... Dark colored urine ( I cannot tell if it is dark because of blood or not), painful urination, pain under ribs,  and blurry vision that comes and goes. I called my PCP and he prescribed Ciprp 250mg x 7 days again but did not see me in the office due to me not having health insurance. He was able to view my previous ER records and said that it looked like I had a bad infection previously and that it needed to  be taken care of because of possibility of sepsis. HE also said that there is no reason why Cipro shouldnt have worked because it should have cleared up anything. This was approximately 2 weeks ago that I contacted him. I have finished my course of antibiotics and still have NO RELIEF. I do have health insurance now but am unable to get in to see my PCP. I thought about going to the ER again for this but had a few questions.

Is it possible I need a different prescribed antibiotic or is Cipro the strongest?
Could it just be that the infection is resistant to Cipro?
What is the likelyhood of me having to receive IV antibiotics now that I've been treated for a toal of 23 days on Cipro without relief?
Also, negative for pregnancy. Negative for STD's and STI's. No prior use of antibiotics.