Urology Community
Kidney Stone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney Stone

I have a kidney stone on the left side I have been dealing with it since Feb it is now July, been in the ER room twice, had a stent put in on May 26th, spent night in hospital, before the 2nd er visit I have accumlated over 11,000 in debt and have no insurance. Have pain everyday, and I'm working which is ruff. How long can the stent stay in? Can I tell my dr. I want is blasted? Also I have blood in my urine. What do you suggest I do?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
In the majority of patients, kidney stents are required for only a shortperiod of time. This could range from a few weeks to a few months. When the underlying problem is not a kidney stone, the stent can stay in for several months. Once the underlying condition that caused blockage of the ureter is resolved and the ureter is healed, the stent can be removed. It is normal to find pain in the kidney area and passing of blood in your urine.

If the pain is severe I suggest you to get it examined from a urologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
My dr is a urologist. Can I tell my dr that I want to have it blasted even if i have the stent in,or does he have to remove the stent first/ Thanks for your info
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy uses shock waves to break the kidney stone into small pieces that can pass from the body more easily than one large stone. If your stones are larger than 2.5 cm (1 inch), your doctor may put in a tube called a stent to keep the ureter open.

If you have a stent placed for capturing the stone then before ESWL, the stent is removed and it is replaced after ESWL is complete.

You can discuss about this with your doctor or a nephrologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.