Urology Community
Kidney Stones and Diarrhea?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney Stones and Diarrhea?

For the past four years, I keep having these bouts where my lower abdomen hurts terribly bad, feeding pain back up into my kidneys.  Usually, it comes on suddenly, and I can't move because it's so bad.  A few hours later, I end up with diarrhea.  The most recent two times, I have eventually passed a kidney stone after these episodes, and then they get sooo much better until the next time.  Can kidney stones really cause diarrhea or is there something else going on that I should be worried about?  My GI tract has been thoroughly investigated, but nobody can find anything.  Help?
Tags: diarrhea
I have been dealing with Kidney Stones for the past seven years.  I have had lithotripsy 4 times to break up the stones.  I have also passed several on my own.  My first symptons that something is going on is that I have slight chills and severe diarrhea.  It starts slow and within 2 hours it is pouring out of me like water.  I then get abdominal pain and nausous.  If I take a Vicotin soon enough after these symptoms start I can usually ward off throwing up.  If I start throwing up It usually lasts all night and then I worry about dehydration because I am loosing so much fluid with the diarrhea and vomiting.  If the Vicotin works and releaves my pain, then the diarrhea stops within an hour or two.  

My primary doctor is confused by this.  He says he has never seen anyone who has Diarrhea with Kidney Stones.  He has tested me for all kinds of things.  My Urologist says that it is each individuals body has a way of dealing with the pain and that is not common but it is not uncommon either.  Good luck with it all .
Absolutely.. I have been dealing with at least one kidney stone a month for several years, and most of the time it is accompanied by painful cramping and diarrhea. Embriologically, the urinary system is related to your digestive tract, so you often get gastrointestinal symptoms with kidney stones, even though they seem to be very different. You may also get very nauseous and have severe vomiting. Seems strange, but this is normal!
My fiance just found this thread after running a search on my symptoms and sent it to me so I didn't feel so alone. I, too have been having these horrible episodes for the past few months.

I am usually woken up in the middle of the night because I feel very hot (not sweaty...it feels more internal...like the blood in my veins is hot) and a little sick to my stomach.. Then the cramping starts and I get diarrhea for hours. Sometimes it is accompanied by nausea and sometimes not.  I notice I usually have a lot of allergy drainage/phlegm and sometimes my throat looks like it's closing up on one side and triggers my gag reflex (draining into my already irritated stomach certainly doesn't help either) Usually I'll have dry heaves but a couple of times, I have thrown up. Each episode typically lasts anywhere between 4-12 hrs and I end up curled up in a ball on the bathroom rug half the night.
I am 34 and had issues with IBS in my early twenties, so at first I thought it had returned. I tried exercising more and eating smaller, extremely healthy meals. I cut down on caffeine, alcohol, fast food, etc. Nothing seemed to help. I made an appointment with a GI doctor and he thought it sounded more gall bladder related than IBS so he ran an abdominal ultrasound. It was negative for gall stones BUT it showed that I had a kidney stone. I have never had these before but during the IBS in my twenties, I also had recurring bladder infections, one of which turned into a bad kidney infection...and the stone is in that same kidney. The weird thing is, I didn't really start having much pain in the kidney area until a few days ago, and this has been going on for several months now.
My GI doctor put me on Bentyl and it has seemed to help a bit until I had another episode this morning. I took the Bentyl for the first time during an episode and I was feeling somewhat better after about three hours but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. This episode only lasted 4 hrs though, which is much better than many of the others.
I have an appointment with a urologist today to decide if they should break my kidney stone up or not. Have any of you found any sort of relief for these episodes? When do they end?! Uggggh.

I'm comforted to know that there are others out there but I sure wish we could be free of this!
i would try going to a psychiatrist and getting on lexapro. it's weird. i have had tons of things go wrong with me...paralyzed stomach, IBS with diarrhea, Urinary tract infections, Low blood pressure, kidney pain, and am very easy to pick something up when someone is sick. I had my doctor say that he thought that maybe my body was stressed out and I didn't know it, and I should try this lexapro for anxiety and depression. I feel like a new person now. it's amazing. I have had almost a full 180 done, and it might be something to think about.
oh, and by the way, i'm only 25, 5'2 and 110 lbs...so it's not like weight is a factor in any of this stuff, and i have pcos which is mostly for obese people...it's really helped with me.
That's crazy. I'm the same size as you and have had similar problems. My IBS and UTI's started in my early twenties. I eat quite healthy and I have more problems than people I know who are overweight and eat horribly.
It's so not fair!
Similar case:  I started with crazy diarreah (diarrhea) all day-every 20 minutes or so.  In the early evening the most severe pain on my left side and lower back.  Called an ambulance, said it sounded like kidney stones.  

Took an ambulance, plane and another ambulance to a hospital in the city-I live in the jungle in Costa Rica.  The x-rays and ultrasound show a kidney stone.  On the other side it also shows some white spots that may be calcium or other small stones.  The doctor said the diarreah (diarrhea) was unrelated.  I stayed in the hospital overnight-no diarreah (diarrhea).  Came home yeaterday and last night severe diarreah (diarrhea) all night again.  I go back to the urologist tomorrow to see if the stone has passed and other tests.  But, I'm really happy to read this!  The diarreah (diarrhea) MUST be related.
What a relief!  I have a major history with kidney stones but have been unable to go back to my urologist for the last eight years due to no insurance.  During the last couple of years I had noticed a correlation between bowel irregularities and flank pain.  Now, for the last three days I have had intermittent spells of severe kidney pain, nausea, some vomitting, and severe diarrhea.  I had always had nausea and vomitting along with the pain and chills accompanying my previous stones, but I couldn't understand this diarrhea being my most prominent symptom----seemingly regardless of what I did or did not eat.  The symptoms have diminished for the time being but may return (this is the middle of the night), and it is good to know that others have experienced this same combination, though I'm sorry for us all.  Thanks to all who have shared, and happy water-swigging to all.  God bless us, every one!
I suffer from what is called Polycystic Kidney Disease (google it) which causes chronic kidney stones. Many people have this disease with no signs until they are much olde. When their kidneys begin to fail them. Diarrhea is related because when the stone is stuck in the ureter ( the tube leading down to your bladder from your kidney) this sends a message to your entire digestive tract to stop. Everything gets backed up and this is why you can't keep any food down and what you do comes out in your watery bile. You MUST continue to rapidly stay hydrated or the stone will not pass. This is personally my first time to actually pass a stone- I was diagnosed with PKD in July last year. I have a total of 6. If you have high blood pressure on top of chronic stones I highly recommend you get tested. A CT scan is the best way to get diagnosed. If you would like to here more about my story I will happily tell you. Before you get tested you need to know this is a fatal disease and this will affect your ability to get life insurance and affordable health care if you do not have it prior.
There are a few conditions which may be associated with both the diarrhea as well as the stones in the kidneys. Examples of the same are crohn’s disease/ulcerative colitis, renal tubular acidosis etc. For the confirmation of the same, you’ll need further investigations like a CT scan, colonoscopy, urine analysis etc. Please do consult a urologist/gastroenterologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Sorry to have to say this, but most doctors are absolute idiots. I always get diarrhea when I have kidney stones (I have chronic stone formation).  The GI upset is like clockwork...and occurs at regular cycles, in relation to the passing of a stone.  If you look around at people's experience noted online, many people report having GI upset with kidney stones.
hello there i am so glad and happy to find these threads ... I have just come out of the hospital after getting a bout of penom. now at home on oxgyen for the next four weeks .   In hospital they noticed blood in my urine ... actually even i noticed it .. I had an xray and it shows a calcific density on my kidney which looks like to be a stone.   Since coming out of hospital i have had severe pain down my left lower tummy.  The pain isnt so bad now since im drinking lots of water and my urine has now turned a light yellow .. but i sit here , on the toilet typing this , as for the last two days i have had horrific cramps and diahorra (sp) .  Its heart warming to know that all my symptoms are of  those relating to kidney stones .  I go back tomorrow for hospital follow up and will mention that the pain is worse than it was in the hospital
I have these exact symptoms on and off for the past year and a half. I have food allergies and thought that was it but couldn't figure out how I missed an ingrediant I can't eat. Finally realized I had kidney stones about 2 months ago. Just want to die when that vomiting and diarrhea start! I have actually fainted twice. At least I know I'm not crazy as others have had the same symptoms!
This post and comments have really helped.  I consider myself very pain tolerant but two nights ago found myself curled up yet constantly moving on the floor from pain in my back.  It started three days ago with the worst rush of diarrhea, I knew there could be no fluids left in my digestive tract.  I figured it was from a questionable taco stand I ate at that day.  After that, the next night I felt like I had been punched in the kidneys several times and was sore.  Then the sharpest pain came about an hour after that.  I laid on the floor for half an hour and then vomited all that I had eaten that day.  To be honest, I felt 80% better after that.  The strange thing is, the next day I knew I was dehydrated so I try to drink h2o but only a little at a time. The more I drank, the more my back hurt.  I had lunch, and that same terrible pain came back an hour later, and an hour after that, I vomited.  Instant relief.  I'd go see a Dr, but can't afford it.  How much longer is this going to last.
I'm on my fourth episode of kidney stones, and all of us that have had them can surely agree, the symptoms are tell-tale and ones you don't forget.  I get extremely painful cramping and horrible diarrhea EVERY time I'm trying to pass a stone.  Actually, that's the first symptom I've had each and every time.  It is the worst, painful diarrhea ever, and something I've only experienced when a stone starts moving through my urinary tract.  Like clockwork, soon after, that hallmark back pain starts.
I found this community the other day trying to find the relation between kidney stones and diarrhea for my wife. I found it very deja vu to hear the post from the doctor. My wifes kidney stone journey started 2 years ago with an 8 month 100k dollar nightmare(Insurance covered most but we got stuck with almost 10 grand) with many doctors (atleast 20) disregarding my wifes 13mm kidney stone and dissecting her GI tract only to find nothing except tell her it is all in her head, you know anxiety and stress and that sort of thing. If you have bowel movement problems, nausea, instant sweating, pain(mild to wild) and find yourself searching for something to eat that won't upset your stomach you most likely have a kidney stone. Sometimes too small to show up on standard xrays. The Docs will never lean toward that prognosis, they would rather tell you your crazy BUT gladly keep taking your money. Once the nausea sets in good you will sweat profusely further adding to the problem of dehydration. What I really want to say though is what I think is causing my wifes problem. There are three things that in my opinion lean toward extreme with my wifes habits and I want to put it out there. She is a 37 year old, always been thin, has IBS and gastritis. She too wonders why all of her fat friends can eat whatever they want and she needs to be careful and eat healthy. Some bodies do not handle bad eating, ones that can handle it well store it to fat, thus the reason her friends can eat anything. The relation to IBS could be coincidental but alot of kidney stone folks have or had ibs. Could be the layout of the organs, it is a tight fit in there ya know? Especially for thin waisted women which most ibs folks are. Organs share space right? Let me get back to what I feel is causing my wifes problem with stones. SUGAR is one thing. We argue over it all the time. She has high sugar intake. Candy, slushes, and of course the whole slew of carbs from cinnamon rolls to cereal. She cannot stop with the sugar though. Her attitude is, well we don't know that is what it is. My attitude is we don't know it isn't. She never stops with sugar. We knew she has a stone again and right know it is 12;30 at night and she has been dry heaving for about 4 hours but guess what? Earlier tonite while she was feeling ok she wanted ice cream! WATER, the other problem. Throughout her life she has treated water like it is gasoline. She is finally figuring out how important water intake is for her yet still only drinks at most 80 ounces a day. I drink atleast that and have never had a stone. If I did I would drink no less than 16 ounces of water every waking hour. Lots of bathroom trips? Sure but from the pain and discomfort and medical COSTS especially I'd say all the peeing be worth it. SALT is the third and final ingredient. My wife hates it. We all know salt helps retain water, we also know that stones are caused by an imbalance of ingredients, salt being one of them. My attitude is this, if you don't know what is causing your stone issue change everything. I am kind of writing this out of frustration cause my wife won't really listen. Maybe someone will. Another thing worth mentioning is my wife is lactose intolerant and has very little calcium intake. Although most stones are made out of mostly calcium it doesn't mean you can't have calcium. I have read about tests being done on people prone to stones being given high calcium intakes and they actually had less issues with them. Again if you have stone issues and have calcium intake, than quit with calcium. If you don't have calcium at all in your diet than most certainly add it. Common sense stuff to me. I hope this post helps someone, it certainly helped me. I am no doctor and could be wrong about everything I am saying but it only makes sense to figure out what you are doing and do the opposite and it may very well help. Now if I can just get my wife on board we may be able to put some money in a college fund for our kids or something as opposed to giving it all to stupid, arrogant doctors who have been very little help and surely have cost us alot of pain,aggravation,time and mucho money. Good Luck to you all.
Wow! Thanks for all the comments. I too had 6 months of bad diarrhea & lower left abdomen pain. Initial tests showed small kidney stone(never had 1 before)... Doc said that wouldn't be cause of symptoms. So off I went to GI doc & tests & colonoscopy...fun! I was fine. Mystery continued. Finally, one day I had sudden crippling pain...had to call 911...medics came, my mom stayed with my young daughter & off to ER for another fun experience. Finally, after hours of pain, special x-ray done where I drank some horrible red liquid first, which made diarrhea even worse, they discovered I had a BIG kidney stone. Went to urologist, had the stone broken up by that sound wave procedure, stone got stuck, ended up in hospital for 3 days in extreme pain until it finally passed. They almost had to cut into the kidney but thank God, it finally came out. All docs said diarrhea not related. Well, after that, I was all better & funny, the diarrhea was gone!!! Now I am having painful diarrhea again & back pain (5 years later) & need to get looked at soon or else it'll be ER again. I just made an appointment with a new doc but it's a month away. Pray I'll be able to get in sooner. Best wishes to all similarly suffering. You are NOT alone, and sometimes, we know a little more than the doc! :-)
Thank you - your comments have helped me.  My issue is too much sugar and not enough water and probably not enough salt also.  I've been under stress at work and have been eating lots of sugar lately.  Not my normal thing though, I try real hard to watch my food intake due to colitis.  But wanted to tell you thanks for writing all that - it was helpful.
almost the exact same symptoms my son is having, unexplained diarrhea. He has had colonoscopy, EGD, parasite tests, biopsies, you name it. He is in hospital as we speak with 10 millimeter kidney stone. Just had stent place and now on IV antibiotics for infection. One doctor said the diarrhea could be related to kidney stone, one said there is no connection. I guess time will tell.  
peeing repeatedly is a problem?
I just had my second kidney stone in one year. Both episodes started with diarrhea and then vomiting. My doctor this time told me that diarrhea was not an indicator of a kidney stone. Then they did the tests and sure enough, I had a kidney stone. This appears to me my pattern, no matter what they say. They kept trying to tell me I had a UTI that was causing kidney pain... until they found the stone.
Grrr.
Exactly the same symptoms, I dont know if anybody sweats hard/ severely during diarrhea
To knock the attack on its head I usually load up with water 12-24 hours after the first pain
then off to the Gym and sweat excessively
this seems to help for me and knocks out the pain. My father had kidney stones exactly at the same time of life as me he drank then exercised constantly and hasn't had attack since I hope this helps