Urology Expert Forum
Kidney Stone's and fatigue

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Kidney Stone's and fatigue

I was diagnosed with a 1.0 x o.4 mm stone in my mid ureter on April 15, 2006. I had 2 unsucsseful ESWL's done and then a JJ stent installed. On June 28, 2006 the urologist perforemed a procedure where he went up throught my penis, baldder and into the ureter and broke the stone into small pieces with a laser. He left the pieces for me to pass which I have already passed several.

My question is this; Since the day I was originally diagnosed with this stone I have been extremly fatigued, have trouble thinking straight and have some memory lapse issues.

My blood pressure has risen to the point where I am on blood pressure medication.

My creatine and protein levels are within the limits.

Now that the stone is mostly out I still am fatigued, can't think straight (head is cloudy)and some memorey lapse. Are these symotoms that are consistant with the stuck kidney stone? Any suggestions on what may be causing this if it not related to the kidney or kidney stone.

I am a w/m 45YOA non smoker non drinker, overwieight, with no other know medical conditions.

There are many reasons that can cause fatigue - which may or may not be related to the kidney stone.  

Sometimes obstructive urinary symptoms can lead to fatigue and hypertension - however this is less likely given the normal creatinine level.

I would consider other metabolic causes - such as evaluation of the electrolytes, blood count, thyroid level and vitamin B12 level.  

If the fatigue continues as well as memory issues, a referral to a neurologist can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.