Kidney neoplasm/complex cyst
Finding on abdominal CT with contrast indicated left kidney neoplasm with recommendation to follow up with MRI without contrast and referral to urologist. Finding on MRI recommendation follow up with MRI with contrast to further evaluate complex cyst versus mass if sufficient kidney function. Had blood work and received a go ahead for second MRI awaiting scheduling.

Why are so many studies needed for a diagnosis and referral to urologist?
   How are you? Diagnosis is made on a step by step basis by excluding all the possibilities at each step.

Ultrasound abdomen is done routinely to find out any morphological changes if present. In case of doubt CTscan is done, because it gives even minute details of the oragns and their correlation with adjacent organs.

MRI is done to defferentiate between benign and malignant conditions, in your case to differentiate between cyst and neoplasm. MRI with contrast needs a proper functioning of the kidney, beacuse contrast is a foreign material which in injected so that it will help in proper visualization of the organs and needs to be excreted by the kidneys. Kindneys will do so only if their function is not disturbed grossly.

Visit your urologist with the MRI contrast report.

Take care.
Hi, I am 39 years old..had a hysterectomy almost 2 years ago (doctor left one ovary).  I was experiencing pain and went to the hospital...they found I had a follicle cyst on ovary.  I had a kidney stone 5 years ago.  The pain was excruciating.  When I went to the hospital 5 years for the kidney stone..a CT scan was done and I was advised that I have cysts in both my kidneys (I tend to be cystic).  I then followed up with a urologist and was told that the cyst on my right kidney needed further investigating...so I went for a CT scan with contrast and it should that it was a simple cyst.  Now, when I was at the hospital for the ovary pain a few weeks ago...a CT scan with contrast was done and it the report states "complex right renal midpole lesion likely representing a complex cyst.  Follow-up MRI of the kidneys pre and post IV contrast is recommended".  What does this mean?  I have been experiencing pain in my right kidney the last week and I was wondering if it is the cyst (2.6 x 1.6 cm), stone or cancer.  I am going to my urologist on Wednesday.  Please advise.

Thanks!