Urology Community
Kidney pain when laying down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney pain when laying down

Hey, I am a 19 year old female, and I have a question about some pain I've been having. Off and on for a long time I have had some dull, aching, but extremely uncomfortable pain in my lower right back and abdomen (but mostly feeling it in the back) that comes when I'm laying down, either on my back or side. The pain increases when I lay on my right side. I don't have any urination symptoms like burning or frequent peeing or blood, which is probably why I haven't seen the doctor about it yet. I was wondering if it's something serious, because the pain can be so bad sometimes. I know it has to be my kidney, and not like a pulled muscle or something, because I can tell the difference, and it's been happening to me for awhile (several months). Thanks for any help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Pain in the lower back and lower abdomen may suggest involvement of the urinary and genital structures. Musculoskeletal and nerve related problems may also cause low back pain.

It is difficult to ascertain the cause if a complete physical examination and complete medical history are not available. For low back pain and abdominal pain, conditions like kidney infections, urinary tract stones, appendicitis, spine disorders have to be ruled out.

Seek consult with your primary physician for a complete assessment and diagnostic tests.A warm compress over the area and OTC analgesics may be able to help temporarily.

Do keep us posted.
Hi, I have been having the same symptoms  sinch January 22. Pain in the area of my kidneys... mostly the right side. but mainly when iIlay down, some times when I lean back in a chair after having stood for a long time but pain at no other time. My Dr. has done numerous tests on my Kidneys and all is fine. They are now checking my gallbladder and pancreas. Please advise on any results you have had since your question.
I have had the same pain exactly!  I can't find much on the net - except maybe interstitial cystitis (except that I don't have to go the bathroom all of the time, although I have been going more in the middle of the night).  I have been to the OBGYN and urologist - they haven't found anything yet.  Had a CT scan and I am awaiting results.  They haven't found any bacteria and I don't have a fever, although I have mild swelling in my right kidney (which makes sense, as my pain is on the right side).  Have you had any luck?  
Another case of it here.  Mine started a few months ago, right after I had a really bad UTI.  I have been to the hospital several time, and although they didn't do any tests for a kidney infection, they did tests to rule out kidney stones.  They ended up giving me a perscription for a really strong antibiotic incase there was a kidney infection and it did not help.  They pain is getting worse and worse to the point I cannot sleep at night.  The only sleep I can get is when I sleep at an angle on the couch.  It doesn't bother me then.  It only bothers me when I am laying down flat in bed.
I'm having the same pains also when I lay on my back or sides.  Sharp pains in my lower back cause me to wake up in the middle of the night and the only relief I get is when I sleep at an angle on the couch.  This started a few months ago and I believed it was my mattress.  I know this discussion forum is an older one, but I would be interested if anyone from the above discussion has found a remedy.  
Hi, I have a kidney stone laying on my right kidney. I seen a kidney doctor a year and a half ago. the kdiney doctor said he was not going to do anything see if i passed it. I still not passed it yet. I have lost over 60 pounds. I stay so nauseau all the time and I can only eat four or five bites. I have had my gallbladder taken out. I have had a complete hysterectomy. My right kidney and lower back hurts all the time? so can this kidney be causing me some problems. and should i get another opinion and get the kidney stone crushed?
the exact thing is happening to me, have you found any answers? if so would you please share with me, i will do the same for you thanks
I have the same thing too! I have been afraid to go to the Dr. The pain is driving me crazy at night when I sleep on my right side. It hurts so much even to turn over. For 4 days the pain was all day long and radiated from my kidney area around to my abdomen. I was really sick. I was ready to go to the Dr. but then it finally eased to just at night. I think it may have something to do with my back or sciatica? I have problems with numbness in the toes in my right foot and pain in my thigh at times and the Dr. says it has to do with my back. I had never had back pain before.  i went for the thigh pain and he said that and put me on a dose of steriods and it felt better. Now this problem. I guess I need a MRI of the back? Let me know if anyone finds something out.
I too have been suffering these symtoms (symptoms) for many years. I have had a radical hysterectomy my gallbladder removed and still the pain is present when i am lying down. Often wakes me too especially when I turn in the bed. Have you had any further success?
I have had this problem for a couple of years now on and off. I associate it with bad posture and often when my back has been exposed to a draught. If you keep your back warm (Gel packs can help) and don't slouch when you sit for long periods you may find it begins to go away. At night I take one dis-solvable painkiller with codeine. If the pain comes back sitting up in bed for a few minutes makes it go away again. It seems some pains are just part of living we have to find out own way to cope.  
First off, if an ultra sound or CT showed a stone in your kidney, this would NOT be causing your pain, UNLESS the stone is large and causing blockage, but you would know because you wouldn't be able to urinate normally or at all for that matter. Most stones only cause pain after they leave the kidney and are on "the move" trying to exit your body! One thing doctors won't discuss is natural remedies and herbal supplements. If you are having kidney or stomach pain, it may be a simple diet issue... Now, I am NOT here to diagnose anyone and if you are having serious symptoms go to the hospital! However,  ask yourself some of the following questions...Do you have 2 to 3 bowel movements a day? Are you eating a diet full of raw fruits and veggies? Do you take vitamin supplements?
Your body is just like a car. It will run only as good as what you put in it. Stomach pain and back pain can be caused by a "backed up colon or intestine". Do your homework before spending thousands of dollars in the hospital only to find out all your tests come back normal. It's amazing how much pain you can be in and still doctors find nothing. Again a backed up colon can cause a lot of pain and discomfort. Start eating more raw veggies and fruit, cut out soda and caffeine. Workout daily and make sure your getting all the vitamins your body needs. Then watch the pain, aches and health issues literally disappear.
I am now suffering of all of the above mentioned symptoms for the second time. The first time I had these symptoms I was positive it was being caused by my bed, (this pain is different than kidney stones which is a regular episode in my life) so I switched beds 3 times in 2 months. Then I came down with a fever, and in the middle of July I was wrapped in blankets and freezing. I went to the doctor and found that I had a kidney infection, I was give a very strong dose of antibiotics and within 2 days the pain was gone. It is now 9 months later the pain is back. I went to the doctor and asked for a urinalysis to see if I have another kidney infection. Yes I do, but this time after 5 days of strong antibiotics it is not going away. So I am now at a loss as to what this may be...the Cipro (antibiotics) should have knocked this out by now it hasn't even lessened it. I will advise if I find anything more out, will be seeing the doctor again sometime soon for further examination.
I am having all of the same symptoms that everyone else has described and I am in agony at night when I try to sleep.  I have been diagnosed with Interstitual Cystitis but the medication for it makes my hair fall out.  I would love to find out what is causing this, as I cannot sleep flat on my back, only on 3 or 4 pillows wedged (in a sitting position).  This is not good because I am not getting any REST!!!  If someone knows of something I can do or take, I would be forever grateful if it works.  I also have had my gallbladder removed and have had a total hysterectomy.  In addition, I have degenerative disk disease at multiple levels of my spine.  Currently, I have 2 bulging disks and 1 herniated disk in my neck between C3 and C6.  Could this have anything to do with it?
im having pain in my lower back-spine if i lie flat down on my back, but if i lie on my right side the pain from lower back-spine disappears and in a minute or so i start felling pain around my left kidney area, which is getting worse (pain) the more i stay in same position, if i lie on my left side the pain mentioned before disappears and i start start felling pain around my right kidney area, so i have to switch positions all the time till i finally fall asleep , some strange ****, this is going on as long as i remember, havent rly tell any doctor about it , im urinating normal
I disagree! I have had 2 golf ball size stones that were blocked from passing from kidney and EXTREMELY painful for months before I had surgery and i never had urination pain or problems.  Everybody is different
I have experienced the same problem. Pain in my lower back area when laying down on my bed. But as soon as I sit up pain goes immediately away.

Here is how I solve that pain. I go to the restroom to do # 1 and # 2 .  :)

Im not kidding or making fun of anybody. It works for me. When I go to bed with an empty stomach I NEVER experience that kinda pain. But when I eat A LOT during the day, especially 3-4 hrs before going to bed, the pain will be there.

So next time try to go #1 and #2 and let me know how it goes.
I am having some issues myself. I have a dull ache/ pain in my upper right side of my back where my kidney is that radiates down to my lower back around my hip and into my lower right abdominal area. I also have been having irregular bowl movements and some cramping pending on what i ate the day before. I am very healthy and eat right. No problem urinating, and had numerous of urine cultures taken, all came back negative for infection. I had a full abdominal ultra sound done including on my kidney it all came back fine and normal. Any help. I'm scared and don't know whats next?
I am going to try your kidney pain thing, to see if it works for me.

How are you doing now ?         Thanks Stiney

SonsofLibertyMilitia.***@****

610 -775-0497

I too have had kidney stones twice now and may have them again. I was able to pee just fine. Had a lot of pain in my back and even had to have a stent, which I read hurt really bad. I had no problems with my stent.
I too, when I lay down on my back or my side at night my kidneys hurt real bad too. I have been to dr, they act like I am imaging things. Run all sorts of test and everything is fine. Well I just wanna know why I still have pain and were is it coming from because it never happened before. I have been a good sleeper all my life until recently, So I know I am not imaging this stuff. Please if any one has a answer let me know. ***@****
I have pain on waking up needing 2 pee in the night in my kidneys and back , but its not lower back pain it seems 2 b rite behind my kidneys where the pain is in my back . It also happens when i wake up not needing 2 pee . The pain only goes when i walk about for a while. The pain can be realy intense
I have the same issue, had my gallbladder out and stent in from stone blockage. the pain is dull, did yours let up?
I have had the same  symptoms for years. At first I thought it was because I have several issues with my spine and associated the pain with that. Then I had issues with a very large Kidney stone. So after having that removed figured it was the kidney stone that might have been the issue and just didn't know  it was growing inside me. after a period of time after having the stone removed the  back pain although  better than it was , is still there and still can't lay down for more than 6 hours  at best without the aching  returning.. I believe it may be the fact that  My bladder fills up overnight causing the ever increasing pain. I manage it by emptying my bladder before  bed and if its bad get up and go to the toilet during the night and try get back to sleep . not perfect but works for me. hope this helps
I've suffered from Urinary tract infections for the last year ever so frequently. I have visited the docs each time and they've prescribed me antibiotics each time. I'm currently on Keflex 250mg  it's been 4 days of taking it and I now have 2 days left to consume.
I've noticed my right kidney starting to ache and am getting an ultra sound on Thursday to see WTF is going on! It's Christmas and with parties and all it's hard to avoid drinking! I'm not usually an alcho lover but admit I've been drinking a lot more than usual almost a drink a day for the last week! This might be the cause of the pain as I've shocked my system? Help!
I have the same pain but only in the morning when i wake up its in both kidneys and I've heard that it's my mattress when I sleep on the couch I wake up fine and pain free. I've also heard that you should not drink anything for a few hours before going to sleep, this helps me a little.
I am checking this website for possible solutions.  like the rest of you I am having troubles at night laying down when I stand up pain seems to be better I have a lower right abdomen and back pain that comes and goes . I do not have kidney stones and I do not have difficulty urinating.  the pain is in the lower rear right abdomen.  
has anybody found any solutions please?
Been suffering with kidney pain when lying down for the past 4 weeks or so. Getting up, passing water or wind offers relief and allows me to get back to sleep. I have started eating a little earlier, before 6 p.m. following the meal with a peppermint tea to aid digestion and I take a Boots Wind Relief tablet before turning in (active ingredients are Dried Aluminium Hydroxide Gel,Magnesium Hydroxide,Simethicone). I am now able most nights to sleep through with little or no pain although when I get up in the morning the pain returns until I pass water or shift some wind again. Hope this helps.
Poor you lot!  The first in this discussion is 2008, love to know if that one was resolved.  My husband bless him is suffering in exactly the same manner as the rest of you, his is lower left side into back kidney area - totally painful lying down, moving and breathing when lying down.  Back and forth and back and forth from doctors; has had horrid post viral stuff, nasty cough with gastric reflux rearing it's nasty head again as has a history but so hard to figure this one out.  Kidney or not, or what?  If anyone has any further ideas.  
I have been dealing with the same pain. I am 22 years old, healthy, non smoker, don't drink pop or caffine, all around, healthy. The first time I felt this was about 2 years ago. I thought it was the mattress, got a new mattress. Still in pain. It got so bad, I went to the hospital. They ran every test they had. I got stays, blood tests, urine tests and an MRI.... Nothing. Everything was fine, on paper it looked like I was perfect, yet the pain was so bad they had given me morphine 4 times to dull my pain. After being there all night, I left, with the same pain I had before... Awesome
So I went to my chiropractor. He told me I had a kidney infection and didn't understand how the doctors at the hospital didn't find it. He could tell right away. He gave me a product called albaplex by a company called standard process, 5 in the morning and 5 at night for 10 days. And he gave me cataplex AC, also by standard process, 5 in the morning 5 at night. He had me take probiotics as well because I do have digestion problems, and food intolorances, but I have that pretty much under control. He told me in 3 days, pain would be gone, and guess what??? It was. :) hallelujah!
I have gotten this infection twice since then. It is very painful and very hard to sleep, intact, its back right now. But I went back to see my chiropractor and he out me on the same stuff. 50 dollars in supplements and a 50 dollar fee to see him and he cures my pain. I got to the hospital, my insurance paid out 14000 dollars for that night with all the tests, and found nothing.
I'm astonished at what doctors can't seem to figure out these days and how much money the get from not even diagnosing anything. And literally, ny 100 dollar chiropractor made me better.
Hope this helps anyone with these same issues. These supplements are not prescriptions, they are vitamins, and can be bought online or certain suppliers that carry it. Standard process is a very old company and has been my savior. So honestly, what have you got to loose, 50 bucks in supplements. Try it. It really worked for me.

By the way, I tried herbal tea mixtures, didn't help, just tasted like ***.

Hope I helped someone out.
Hello there I have the same symptoms you described. Did your pain go away? What was your diagnosis?
I started having these symptoms a few days ago.  Started with pain on the right side of my back just below my rib cage.  The pain radiated to my side and the right side of my abdomen. Though the pain in my side and abdomen is more of a dull aching pain and the pain in my back is a sharper pain. I also feel the pain sometimes when I take a deep breath.  I don't feel the pain as much when sitting up or standing.  It is most relevant when I am laying down.  I've had to sleep in a partial upright position.  I have had a touch of nausea and overall feeling of just not feeling well.  But even with all those symptoms I am not having any of the typical urinary symptoms of a kidney infection.  So I am confused.  And really don't want to go to the doctor if I don't have to.  Please advise.
I have both the problem of pain in the kidney region when lying down...and have found a solution for me, maybe for some of you too. I noticed I have been getting cramp twinges in the right side of my back, just above the belt line, when sitting on the toilet. Then this pain started, when lying down, that is like I imagine a kidney stone, I could not sleep and had to get up for the pain to go.. I folded a soft hand towel to make a pad, and lay on it - putting it on the bed where the pain is located, so it also fits into the small of the back. The warmth and the slight elevation definitely help. Next comes the solution - for me. I do long-distance hikes and intensive gym workouts, and have a mineral mix (prescribed in Austria) that stops cramps within 5 minutes when they occur. I tried the mix for my lying-down back pain, and the pain went away almost immediately. The mineral mix is called Magnosolv, and is only available in Austria. Here are the ingredients so you can find something similar. Magnesium carbonate 670mg; Magnesium oxide 340mg; Potasium 500mg; Natrium 60mg (salt); citric acid 3700mg. All mixed in powder form to be dissolved and shaken in water. I am still amazed that the pain is from cramping - it really feels like you all describe your pains. I have a broken shoulder bone so maybe I am lying in a way that is causing the cramps. At least now I can get some sleep.     .
Hi all,
I have been having severe pain in my right side and lower back (mostly on right side). It starts to hurt a bit when I sit for awhile. Doesn't hurt during the day when I'm active. BUT at night it is awful, shortly after I lie down and during the night. It doesn't matter how I lay, my right side hurts. This came on sudden and immediate, and does not have to do with my mattress, posture, or eating habits. It has lasted about 5 weeks now. the other issue going on is I seem to be producing less urine (bowel movements seem to be about the same, maybe some narrowing in general). I don't have any pain, burning or itching or more frequency with urinating.

I went to the doctor and she did a urine sample in the office and saw bacteria in the urine. She (understandably) presumed I had a bladder infection and prescribed antibiotics. she also sent me to the lab for further blood and urine tests, I looked at the results online and the only abnormality is the bacteria in urine and being low on iron.

I just finished a week of antibiotics and so should be better, but the pain in my side is as bad as ever, maybe even worse. Maybe the urine issues are separate from the side/back pain.

I have another appointment with my doctor in a couple of weeks and I'm sure she will be sending me for many tests - x-rays, ultrasounds, even colonoscopy she suggested. She is very thorough and doesn't hesitate to send me for tests, maybe it's because i have a good medical plan (Canadian) So I will let you know what my results are in case it helps someone else.

Years ago, I tested positive for the Anklosing Spondylitis gene and so I am concerned/scared that it has been activated - it is a brutal auto-immune spinal disorder, but don't worry it isn't very common. The other fear factor is a tumor in my abdomen/colon/kidneys that is causing blockage and pain. My mom has been diagnosed with colon cancer, the first one in our entire family history so I guess now that could be a factor too.

one kind of positive thing I can say is that about 5 or 6 years ago I had a similar thing happen and I had a bunch of tests done. Nothing was found after countless tests and after a few months it actually just subsided. During those months I had to sleep on the couch to keep myself in a certain position. I have no explanation about what it was then and why it went away and how horrific the pain was. Maybe it was some strange arthritic flare-up or the beginning of osteoporosis or fibromyalgia (none of which I have been diagnosed with).

good luck to you all in your search for pain-free sleep. I am dreading going to sleep tonight as I too know I will wake up a few times in great pain :(

this sounds about right. I too have been having these pains just recently and its very sharp. I do not eat enough raw veggies or fruit, I don't do caffeine but I do however like my morning coffee/cappuccino, just one.
I see a lot of people have the same symptoms and what you've come up with sounds about right. I'm going to try it and see if it helps. I take my vitamins every day and I drink LOTS of water.  thanks, yours is the first response that sounds good.
Lea