Urology Community
Kidney stone question!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney stone question!

On friday I went to the ER with horrible pain in my right side by my hip and throwing up and was told I have a 4mm kidney stone.I did a urine sample and a CT scan.SInce it was the weekend I have to wait until tomorrow morning(monday)to call the urologist to make an appointment.Im terrified.Ive never had surgery and I am greatly hoping for esw(the shockwave surgery)My question is with a 4mm stone that hasnt caused me any pain since ive been to the ER is it likely I can get eswl?Ive had random cramps and need to urinate but really no pain.especially no pain like i did on friday.im just curious since it hasnt passed yet is eswl something that i could get with 4mm? thanks
Hi:  Did they give you an IV of anti-inflammatory medication (ibuprofen)?  When I had my kidney stone (5mm) a few years back, they did a CT scan in the ER and was told that since the stone had moved out of the kidney and into the ureter, I was not a candidate for lithotripsy (another name for the shockwave therapy).  I felt like I had to urinate but could not when they asked for a urine sample (just a little blood came out). The pain went away after a period of time while laying in the ER. I was then finally able to urinate quite a lot and felt much relief--no more pain.  They let me go home and was to see a urologist on Monday morning.  (This all happened in the middle of a Saturday night).  Later I learned that the stone had passed into my bladder while laying in the ER.  The super-duty IV reduced the swelling in the ureter enough so it could exit into my bladder.  They had me use a strainer to catch it--3 weeks later.  That was not painful at all, fortunately.  My guess is that it is in your bladder now and it may come out on its own at some point.  I wish you the best of luck.
I got a ureteroscopy and the doctor found NO STONE! crazy.he put a stent in place and said i mustve passed it.but i swear i didnt pass it! i was checking and they gave me a strainer.i didnt use the strainer all the time but i didnt see it or feel it whatsoever.tomorrow i have an appointment with the doctor to get the stent out.im having back pain that feels really hot at times.like theres a heating pad burning my back.thats about all the pain.but who knows if the stones still there or not:( ill see tomorrow i guess