Urology Expert Forum
Kidney stone the result of an STD?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Kidney stone the result of an STD?

About 6 months I had unprotected sex.  I know, 'what was I thinking?'  I was a little nervouse because a month later I found a bump on my inner labia.  I work on a medical floor and one of the OBGYNs said it did not look like a wart or herpes and referred me to an infectious disease dr.  The bump was gone by the time I finally got in.  He told me it could have been MRSA or a number of other bacteria.  He told me to wear underwear and stop going commando...  

Anyway, 1 month ago I started having abdominal pain.  Usually it was minimal to moderate pain, but once or twice a day it becomes extreme.  The pain is more on my left side.  My urine dip was negative for leukocytes, but positive for blood.  I got an ultrasound and they found a 6mm kidney stone.  I am told they have to surgically remove it because of the size.  I'm nervous!

I am wondering if this kidney stone could be the result of an STD?  I have no other STD symptoms, but a combination of the unprotected sex, bump on my vagina, and now a kidney stone have be nervous.  If STDs can cause kidney stones, what type could it be? I have read a little about mycosplamas that don't show up on STD tests.  

Thanks for your help!

Dear Jana13,

The bump on your labia was probably infection of the bartholin's gland and seems to have settled by itself.

I do not believe that this stone that is present is because of STD or the previous bartholin gland infection. They may not be related. Hence you should not view these events in a chain and get nervous. They should be seen individually.

Now treatment of the stone depends on its size, position, and if there is a damage to the kidney. A 6 mm stone in the kidney can be managed conservatively with watchful waiting or can be given Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy. We generally do not operate for such a small stone. However, the probable reason why your doctor has opted for surgery is that the stone would have dropped down into the lower ureter and got impacted there.

Hope my reply settles your nervousness and prepares you for the simple, non complicated procedure that you need for the stone.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Regards,
Dr. Rajiv Goel
1 Comment
A related discussion, Kindney Stone !! was started.