Urology Community
Kidney stone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Kidney stone

I have a stone that is 0.55cm in my left kidney.  The pain has stopped in my back but I constantly feel like I have to urinate.  Does this mean that the stone has moved?  Where could the stone be located and how can I help it pass?

Thanks for writing.

Let me come straight to the point. A stone anywhere in your urinary tract only causes pain when it causes obstruction to the flow of urine. The stones have to be at least 2-3 mm to cause obstruction. If it lies loose it will not cause pain. So if your pain has disappeared, chances are that the stone has moved.
Urge to pass urine is increased if there is infection. Since you know the size of your stone, you may have got an ultrasound done. That will give the position of the stone too.
It is difficult to know where the stone is, once it has moved, without another ultrasound.
You will need to get your urine examination done to rule out infection. Drink plenty of water and other liquids. Small stones like yours at times move out of the body with the pressure of urine. 90% of stones about 4mm or less automatically move out some time or other. Stones 6mm or above in size need some intervention. So yours is inbetween, which may or may not need intervention.
Please consult your physician about this.

Hope this helps. If you need more help, please feel free to contact. I’ll be happy to answer your queries. Please keep me posted.