Urology Expert Forum
Left Lower back side and groin pain

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Left Lower back side and groin pain
My dad is having lower back pain radiating to left side and left groin. He was recently in the hospital for his second seizure at the age of 83. He is on coumadin and now dilatin. After discharge and back to the ER and a visit to his physician still no diagnosis. He has singles but no outbreak now and this pain is going on 2-3 days. The family doctors office has now added the shingles "meds just in case". He finally is gettingna stronger pain med Oxy . . . /narcotic which helps. Previously he had Darvocett upon release from the hospital stay. What specialist do we see to figure this out. The Primary is saying GI but ???????

WKDMS
If his abdominal/pelvic CAT scan is negative ( this is the most definitive way to start sorting out what is going on), then musculoskeletal causes and GI causes would be next on the  list. If his shingles involved the area of pain that he is experiencing now, then certainly this becomes a possible cause.
I would suggest a general practioner/internal medicine physician as the next step but seeing as you are not happy with the way things are being managed, then I would seek another opinion from a different physician, same specialty.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.