Urology Community
Left Testicle Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Left Testicle Pain

I am a generally healthy 28 year old male. I woke up in the middle of the night about 5 days ago with a dull ache in my left testicle. The pain comes and goes and seems to radiate into my lower left abdomen. It even at time seems to radiate to my left side and back. It tends to be worse when I lay down. However, it does seem to have been getting a slight bit better each day.

The pain in my testicle can be described as a dull ache and the pain in my abdomen/back is more sharp and shooting.

I have refrained from strenuous exersice and switched from boxers to briefs for more support.

Could I have slept on it wrong? Pulled a muscle?

If the pain continues I do plan on seeing a urologist. But am interested in an expert opinion now and curious as to how long I wait to see if it goes away.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
This looks more like a referred pain of kidney stones that is felt in the testis. There could be a stone anywhere in the urinary system on the left side. An ultrasound of the lower abdomen will be able to rule out kidney stones.Pain in testicle could also be due to infection, like prostatitis, epididymitis or orchitis. Get a culture sensitivity test for both semen and urine done. Only orchitis will present with some redness and swelling in the testicular area. It could be due to cancer of testis. It could be due to varicocele or spermatocele. An ultrasound of the testicles will diagnose cancer, varicocele and spermatocele.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage without examining you. These are just a list of possibilities. You should see an urologist regarding this. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post.

I wanted to give you an update and get your opinion. I recently switched to wearing tighter briefs (instead of boxers) and have also notice an extreme decrease in symptoms. Whether this is due to briefs or time I do not know.

I do feel some twinges or shooting in my lower left abdomen and an occasional pain in the left testical/groin area.

Could this completely go away?

I was going to give it this weekend (11 days since symptoms began) and if it is not cleared up I will schedule to see a urologist.

I am just getting optimistic due to the decrease in pain and frequency of the symptoms. What are your thoughts?

A tighter undergarment only adds support to an inflamed area or a hernia and hence you feel the symptoms less. It is not a treatment. Do not let it mislead you. Please consult an urologist since you have been suffering for 11 days now.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you so much for your interaction. I really appreciate your input and time.

I work at a hospital, so today I spoke with a friend of mine who is a doctor. His opinion was also kidney stone(s). He ordered a CT (without contrast) and UA. The CT came back negative for kidney stones, masses, fluid, bowel obstruction, etc. The UA came back negative except for a few red blood cells in my urine. The pain is still somewhat present in my kidney area but has moved from my left abdomen to the pubic region above my penis and below my belly button on both sides. It is throbbing, shooting, and sparatic. On a scale 1 to 10 the pain ranges from 3 to 6. My kidneys do seem to be aching somewhat more.

After looking at the UA and CT he said it is possible I could have already passed a small stone and the pain is leftovers (my terminology). He also thought is could be some sort of musclular strain.

He said if the symptoms are not gone by Monday, he will order blood work, ultrasound, and possibly a CT with contrast.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks for keeping me posted!
I think the approach is right. Also get an ultrasound of the testicles too. Drink plenty of water. Try apple cider or cranberry juice. They are known to help pass a stone or ven sludge.
Okay here's the latest.

After seeing the doctor on Thursday. I began the weekend and started drinking plenty of water. I had some kidney pain (soreness) and some pain in the frontal pelivs area.

Through the weekend the symptoms seem to get a lot better. In fact, I had little to no symptoms Monday and Tuesday.

However, this evening I decided to wear boxers for the first time sense the pain began. Almost immediately after switching back to boxes the pain returned between my left testicle and left upper thigh. It seems to be in the corner, were the scrotum meets the thigh (uppor pelvis).

Feels like a tear? Pulling? Shooting? Sharp?

I experience very sporadic kidney soreness and front left abdominal shooting pains.

It is so strange. It does seem to be getting better overall, but is there a direct link between the pain and wearing boxers?

So, I wouldn't say I am symptom free, but I am about 85% free now.

Your thoughts?
The only other thing I can think of is epididymitis. “Chronic epididymitis is epididymitis which ensues for more than six weeks. Chronic epididymitis is characterised by inflammation even when there is no infection present. Tests are needed to distinguish chronic epididymitis from a range of other disorders that can cause constant scrotal pain. These include testicular cancer, enlarged scrotal veins (varicocele) or a cyst within the epididymis. As well, the nerves in the scrotal area are connected to those of the abdomen, sometimes causing pain similar to a hernia (see referred pain). This condition can develop even without the presence of the previously described known causes.” Hence you could be feeling the referred pain in your abdomen. Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epididymitis
It is really difficult to reach a diagnosis on net. Please consult your urologist.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
i have left testicular pain ...but it appears rarely...it radiates towards the left lower part of abdomen....but after taking rest it get disappeared...what may be the diagnosis if you kindly help me to solve this problem