Urology Community
Long Term Effects of Bilateral Ureteral Reimplantation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I had bilateral ureteral reimplant surgery when I was 3 years old. I am now 20 years old and I'm having concerns about my future. I've had chronic UTI and Bladder infections over the course of my life, and visit my urologist every 6 months for routine tests. There have even been some scares of hydronephrosis on my left kidney.

I'm worried that in a few years, when I hope to have children, that complications may occur due to scar tissue built up around my lower abdomen, or even anything more serious from the pressure of the growing child on my body.

Should I be worried? Are there usually any complications for a mother who has had the surgery as a child? What are the worst-case-scenarious?
     How are you? Vesico ureteral reflux is treated by ureteral reimplantation. Usually VUR is treated conservatively for stages 1 to 3. But in cases who are in stage 4 or who are not treated successfully by conservative treatment they are subjected to surgical correction by reimplantation of the ureters.

Potential complications include bleeding, infection, urinary leakage, and bladder spasms shortly after the surgery (usually resolve in 2 to 3 weeks), and ureteral obstruction or persistent reflux later. The latter two complications are managed differently if they occur. In your case, I think it is persistence of reflux which is causing recurrent UTI’s and hydronephrosis of the left kidney. Other surgical methods that may be performed include laparoscopic correction and using an endoscope to inject a bulking agent (e.g., Deflux) at the ureteral opening. If the VUR does not correct even with this a revision surgery can be considered.
Consult a urologist for further assistance.
Best.

Hi missv9,

I think we are in a very similar boat.

I also had bilateral ureter reimplantation surgery when I was 2 years old. I am now 20. Around the age of 17, my UTIs started to become more chronic. When I was 18, one resulted in a kidney infection. I finally met with my doctor and realized that they became more prevalent as a result of sexual intercourse. I was prescribed Macrodantin and so I take it each time after intercourse as a preventative measure and luckily haven't had one since.

Let me know if you find out any complications of having children. Like you, I would also like to have children someday and not have to worry about severe effects.
Hi I just read these posts and wanted to tell you that my daughter had this surgery when she was 11 years old. When she was pregnant with her first baby she did have numerous kidney infections. She was under the care of a high risk doctor. She delivered a healthy baby girl. At her next pregnancy, she didn't have any problems and hasn't had any issues at her third pregnancy too. She has today 5 beautiful children and she doesn't suffer any infections at all. I don't think you have anything to worry, just be under the care of a good doctor when you are pregnant and let him know your history.