Urology Community
Low flow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Low flow

I am a 40-year-old male experiencing low urinary flow. I have seen a urologist and my bladder voiding is fine, but my flow is very low. It takes me between 50 seconds and as much as 2 minutes to urinate and the urologist has said it should take me 20 to 30 seconds. I have no stopping and starting, just a weak continuous flow, and usually only get up once if at all during the night to go. I usually experience some burning at the tip of the penis during urination. Urgency is a problem at times, as well. Much of the time, I find myself straining during urination which sometimes makes it difficult not to move my bowels at the same time. Cystoscopy showed no obstructions. The urologist simply reported it seemed as though my bladder muscles were working kind of hard to work the urine past the prostate. DRE checks out fine and PSA test was very good. I have tried both Uroxatral and Flomax with the former causing no improvement and the latter seemingly improving flow for a few days but then going back to normal. The urologist has suggested just living with it and keeping an eye on it. I'm pretty much OK with that, but figured I'd post my condition here just to see if any other opinions surfaced. Thanks
Tags: flow, urinary
     How are you? The most common cause for slow urine stream is BPH. The other symptoms of this condition are urgency, frequency, sensation of incomplete bladder voiding etc. There is another condition called as over active bladder, but slow stream is not manifested in that.
I would suggest that you take a second opinion from a urologist and get the prostrate exam done and follow his advise.
Best.