Urology Expert Forum
Lump above testicle

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Lump above testicle

I'm pretty worried.  I've noticed that my left testicle hangs lower in the scrotum, more so when it is warm and loose.  Above the left testicle, not on it but connecting, there is a lump that sticks out through the skin.  Is it the epididymis, something wrong with the epididymis, or possibly something else?  My other testicle is held in the scrotum much more firmly and higher up and nothing above it pokes out.  This bump may have gotten bigger... Help please.

_
Dear James,
Each testis is normally located in the scrotum.  It is connected to the epididymis which is located on top of the testis (superiorly).  The epididymis then runs posteriorly to form the vas deferens.  The vas deferens then runs through the spermatic cord.  Also contained in the cord is the neurovascular supply to the testis.  the spermatic cord is covered with connective tissue and muscle.  This is called the cremasteric muscle.  When the muscle contracts, the testis will be pulled higher into the scrotum.  This cremasteric reflex is active between the second and seventh years of age.
It is normal for the left testis to lie lower than the right.   The structure you are describing sounds like the epididymis.  Sometimes it may become infected and enlarge.  If it does, it will be tender as well.  Also, it could be that because the left testis is located more dependently in the scrotum, it is more easily palpated (felt).  If you have any questions, see your primary care physician.  If he/she feels it is warrented, a scrotal Ultrasound or follow up with a Urologist may be indicated.
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians' notes and lab test results that you  may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-JL
*keyword: scrotal contents, anatomy of male genitalia