Urology Expert Forum
Lump in groin

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Lump in groin

I am a 44 year old male with a rather large lump in my groin on my left side. The object is located at the very lower end of the groin - very nearly, but not quite, in the "crease" formed where the leg joins the abdomen. It is roughly the shape of a flattened or ovate cylinder, an inch or so long and 1/4 to 1/2 inch in "diameter."
     It appeared quite suddenly a week ago - I discovered it at night after coming home from work and I am 99% certain it was not present when I showered that morning. It does not hurt at all; there is no itching and very little if any skin discoloration - maybe a slight bit of redness. I was totally unaware of its presence until I felt it while soaping the area with my hand in the shower.
     I have no other lumps or swellings anywhere, including under my arms, etc.
     I have had a few cysts in the past (in my arm and neck - never
  anything in this area) and this feels pretty much like them, but it is probably 10 times larger than the biggest cyst I've ever had. Usually the cysts have disappeared within a short period of time so I generally have not sought treatment for them, but this has me somewhat more concerned.
     I appreciate any thoughts you might have concerning what this might be, and whether I should seek immediate treatment.

_

Dear CR,
This lump in your groin or inguinal area may be caused by many different things.  You stated that it came up suddenly, but it may have been there for some time not noticed.  You mentioned redness that may be associated with infections.  The fact that it is painless goes against infection.  Common problems in the are include the following: hernia (weakness in the abdominal wall), lymph node enlargement (infectious or cancerous cause), and cysts (infected or not).
A physical exam by a primary care physician would help determine if further action is required.  They may then suggest a specialist's (general surgeon etc.) evaluation.
Penile or urethral cancers can cause inguinal lymph node enlargment, but thes diagnoses are very rare.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
Sincerely;
HFHS M.D.-CK
  * Keyword: lump, groin, inguinal