Urology Expert Forum
Lump on right testicle

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Lump on right testicle

: : : Hi.  My husband, age 34, has had a lump on the lower side of his right testicle for at least 10 years now.  It has bothered him from time to time, but not very painful.  He has seen 2 different doctors, both of which have either said "keep an eye on it" and/or "it's just a cyst...don't worry".  Well, in the last month he has been complaining of pain in the area between the testicle and the right hip.  Is this considered the groin area?  Anyway, our family doctor saw him for the 2nd time for this today and said let's try to find a urologist for you, maybe you can see someone this summer.  After reading what I have read on the Testicular cancer etc., I am more concerned than ever.  I have suggested that we just call a urologist on our own and push for an appt., but most see people by referral only.  We need a good doctor, one who can show us he knows more than just "wait and see"  and "now what do you want to do".  Does this sound like we should push for the urologist and some type of ultrasound immediately (within a week) so that we make sure we don't miss anything.  My husband has been searching the net lately and I think he's getting more nervous.  I am the person to speak up and I need to go in with all the info I can.  Sorry for the long posting...I post on the CCFA for myself and get the info I need as the doctors here in Maine don't seem to take us seriously when a problem shows up.  I'm sure someone here does, but so far no family doctor!  Thanks for all the help I can get.  I hope I am not re-iterating postings made in May.  I read them, but thought this would get lost in them if I just re: re: re: re: posted.  Unsure how it works here.  Thanks to you all.  Sally
  : : Sally,
  : : I'm not the doctor, so keep checking back for their answer.
  : : I have had testicular cancer, though, and I would think that a lump that has been there for 10 years is not likely to be testicular cancer. Nevertheless, there should not be pain in this area either. I think it is definitely a good idea (and the safest alternative) to find him a urologist right away. I'm surprised that none seem to want your business, but I have found that telling the secretary the right symptoms will probably get your husband an appointment pretty quickly. Call and tell them that he feels a lump on his testicle, and he also has some inguinal (groin) pain. They'll probably get him in soon enough. If you want real experts, you will have to go to Boston. I don't think that is necessary, though.
  : : In the meantime, try taking a look at the following link. It may help your husband figure out what might be causing his problem:
  : : http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/junnila.html
  : : Good Luck!
  : : Doug Bank
  : : Editor, TCRC
  : Doug:  Thanks for the information provided above.  I have that site bookmarked and will have my husband check it out as well.  I will have him begin calling Monday to find someone who will see him.  We will use your suggestion on what to say...I'm sure it will get the point across.    My husband is not aware that I found this forum as I am looking for the information to help him understand, but not alarm him more than he already is.  I took it lightly at first because I wasn't aware of the severity of a problem of this type.  I have since changed my mind.  Thanks for being out here to help.  And I hope all is going well with you, obviously you found it early.  Sally
  HELP ME:     IM A 15 YEAR OLD TEEN....... I DISCOVERED A LUMP ON MY RIGHT TESTICLE , ITS
  A HARD LUMP IT DON;T BOTHER ME PSYCHALLY, IT BOTHERS ME MENTALLY.......IM REALLY
  SCARED AND IM AFRAID TO TELL MY PARENTS........   IT SEEMS LIKE ITS ON THE OUTSIDE
  ON THE END OF ME TESTE......  AND ITS MISTAKING ME BECAUSE ITS ON THE END OF IT AND
   I DON'T KNOW IF ITS INSIDE OR ON THE OUTSIDE. OF IT......  ITS A LITTLE  bigger THAN A BB I THINK
  BUT NOT BY MUCH.......IS IT A CYST!?1/.         I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Tom,
I hear your concern and your fear regarding your telling your parents. I cannot help you by making a diagnosis over the Forum.  What you describe could certainly be a cyst. However I do strongly feel that you should see a urologist for a definite diagnosis. You quite probably have nothing serious but if you do have a testes cancer it can be CURED and you can be done with it IF YOU CATCH IT EARLY AND GET IT TREATED.
You do need to get in to see someone NOW.
Good luck!
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. The Henry Ford Hospital Department of Urology has experience in the evaluation and treatment of problems such as you describe. We would be most interested in helping you. You can reach us through our toll-free number (1-800-653-6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is  your need. Please bring any x-rays [and pathology slides] (not just the reports) as well as any physicians