Urology Expert Forum
Lump or bump on the outside of the scrotum

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I am somewhat worried. I recently ( 2 days ago) developed a small lump or bump on the outside of my scrotum towards the bottom of the scrotum. It sort of feels like a zit would but does not act like one, if that makes any sense.
Let me emphasize it is on the outside of the scrotum. I am a very physically active 23 year old college student. I work out 6 days a week and I eat a fairly healthy diet. I am not sure if that information helps but I am also a 6'2 caucasian. I sometimes smoke cigarettes during finals but I am not an everyday smoker I would say maybe 2-4 cigarettes a week. I also rarely ever drink, maybe twice a month. I take adderall (adderrall) fo ADHD and I occassionly take sleeping pills. I hope all of this information helps. I also have developed a lump on the back of my leg that is also pretty small like a cyst this developed about 6 months ago. It would also help if you could help me identify that. Thank-you very much.
A cyst or folliculitis (infection of the hair follicle) are all possibilities.  Depending on what the lesion looks like, you may also want to consider herpes or a genital wart.  

You may want to obtain a referral to a dermatologist or urologist for further evaluation.  If it is folliculitis - antibiotics can be considered.  A cyst may need to be drained if big enough.

If herpes is suggested, there are blood tests that can further evaluate for the diagnosis.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.