Urology Community
Major problems after Hernia/Hydrocele Surgery at the same time!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

my right testicle aI had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair along with a hydrocele operation at the same time. The hernia repair was much more complicated than the doctor predicted and the surgery lasted nearly twice as long as he predicted. The doctor did not cath me during the surgery and apparently my blad fder was torn causing severe pain outside of the normal expected discomfort. Now 2 months after surgery, I do not have any feeling in nd my left testicle after lifting anything of weight over 5 pound or even to the touch causes severe pain.  My doctor is now very concerned that I have no feeling in my one testicle and also says he may  have to operate again as the pain in the left testicle may be caused because of choking off of the blood flow to this testicle due to the 'healing' may be too tight??? Please help, I am thinking this doctor may have made more than a few mistakes in my care.....Please advise on what I should do!!

I had an incarcerated right inguinal hernia repaired in 2006. At the time it was treated as an emergency due to the fact that I had waited before seeking medical help. In 2000 I lost my left testicle as the result of a severe staph infection.
The 2006 surgery went well but was more extensive than normal. I spent the next 4 days in hospital.
For the next few months I had a difficult time sleeping on my right side. Even though the hernia has been repaired I can still notice discomfort at times when coughing or sneezing as well as lifting things. This has almost been 5 years after the surgery.
Prior to doing the surgery the general surgeon told me that I should be prepared to loose my remaining testicle in the surgery. I objected and refused to sign the release forms. I was then told that a urologist would be present as well. Luckily the testicle was saved.
Even though I no longer have my left testicle, I still att times experience pain as when it was still there.
If I were you, I would try to wait a bit longer to see if things improve. One thing that I cannot understand is why your bladder was involved. Was it carelesness of the surgeon? Under no circumstance should your bladder have been involved in the surgery.
Simmilar to my case further surgery might have the risk of loosing a testicle in the process. However if the pain is severe this might be a risk that you have to take.

All the best.

Ron