Urology Expert Forum
Meatal Stenosis in Adult Male

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Meatal Stenosis in Adult Male
I have been getting semen/mucus trapped in my urethra and it has caused a split urine flow.  It corrects itself after about 6 days but then continues to happen about once every 6 weeks.  I am circumsized.  My doctor told me today that he is worried that the slit/opening to my penis has developed some scar tissue around it and may want to operate to open up the slit some more for better even flow of urine and semen.  He said this should have actually been taken care of when i was very young.  A couple of questions: how painful is this operation and how painful is it post-surgery? how quick is the recovery? and also, will i need to use a catheter or anything? i am seriously nervous.  I have a follow up exam with him in 2 weeks after i have completed antibiotics as i was also told i have prostatitis which may be affecting some things.
The surgery is normally done in the clinic with a local anesthetic.  Occasionally it will be done in the hospital with general anesthetic in more severe cases.

The most common complication is that the stenosis would reform after the surgery.  To my knowledge, a catheter is not needed.  Recovery time varies from patient to patient, but may take days to a week.  

These questions can be discussed with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0
0