Urology Community
Microhematuria Not Related to Injury?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Microhematuria Not Related to Injury?

A couple of months ago I injured the urethra in my penis during sex with my wife (she manipulated it a little roughly this one particular time).  The injury was near the tip and although it wasn't painful to urinate, I felt some discomfort otherwise on occasion.  I made an appointment to see a urologist just to make sure it wasn't anything serious and when I arrived at his office his staff collected a urine sample from me.  When the doctor entered the room he asked for the purpose of my visit, and I told him about the injury.  The doctor said he found some traces of blood in my urine and then proceeded to examine me, after which he said that I had injured the urethra, not to worry, and that it would heal on its own.  He had me schedule a follow-up visit for 5 weeks later.  

So here's the crux of this story: I showed up 5 weeks later, and although the discomfort on the tip of my penis (in the urethra) had subsided considerably, I could still feel a slight pain on occasion if I manipulated my penis.  When the doctor entered the examining room, he asked if I knew why he wanted me to return for this visit.  I told him I assumed it was because he wanted to make sure I was healing properly and he said that the real reason was because I had blood in my urine 5 weeks ago and the blood was still there on this visit (they took another urine sample when I showed up).  I told him I didn't think I had healed completely because I still felt a little discomfort, but he said he didn't believe the two were related.  So he scheduled me for some lab work (blood, but no urinanlysis) and a CT scan (with and without contrast).  He also scheduled me for a follow-up visit so that he can take a look inside my bladder with a catheter to make sure there is no cancer there.  

My question (sorry it's taken so long) is: why would the injury NOT be related to blood in the urine?  Note, he did not look inside my urethra; he only performed an external exam of my penis and testicles during the first visit.   I'm also worried, of course, about the ramifications of this microhematuria because I am otherwise a very healthy 47 year old.  I do have to point out that my urologist did say I am at a high risk factor for bladder cancer because I am over 40 and I smoke a tobacco pipe.  And in that regard, he seemed fixated on those two factors.  
Hello azcactus,

You need a thorough internal examination through the urethra until bladder to rule out and early carciomatous changes. Moreover, some times the micro trauma would take relatively more time to heal in order to allay the micohematuria.
I suggest kindly get a thorough examination at the eraliest.

Best