Urology Community
Microhematuria Not Related to Injury?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Microhematuria Not Related to Injury?

A couple of months ago I injured the urethra in my penis during sex with my wife (she manipulated it a little roughly this one particular time).  The injury was near the tip and although it wasn't painful to urinate, I felt some discomfort otherwise on occasion.  I made an appointment to see a urologist just to make sure it wasn't anything serious and when I arrived at his office his staff collected a urine sample from me.  When the doctor entered the room he asked for the purpose of my visit, and I told him about the injury.  The doctor said he found some traces of blood in my urine and then proceeded to examine me, after which he said that I had injured the urethra, not to worry, and that it would heal on its own.  He had me schedule a follow-up visit for 5 weeks later.  

So here's the crux of this story: I showed up 5 weeks later, and although the discomfort on the tip of my penis (in the urethra) had subsided considerably, I could still feel a slight pain on occasion if I manipulated my penis.  When the doctor entered the examining room, he asked if I knew why he wanted me to return for this visit.  I told him I assumed it was because he wanted to make sure I was healing properly and he said that the real reason was because I had blood in my urine 5 weeks ago and the blood was still there on this visit (they took another urine sample when I showed up).  I told him I didn't think I had healed completely because I still felt a little discomfort, but he said he didn't believe the two were related.  So he scheduled me for some lab work (blood, but no urinanlysis) and a CT scan (with and without contrast).  He also scheduled me for a follow-up visit so that he can take a look inside my bladder with a catheter to make sure there is no cancer there.  

My question (sorry it's taken so long) is: why would the injury NOT be related to blood in the urine?  Note, he did not look inside my urethra; he only performed an external exam of my penis and testicles during the first visit.   I'm also worried, of course, about the ramifications of this microhematuria because I am otherwise a very healthy 47 year old.  I do have to point out that my urologist did say I am at a high risk factor for bladder cancer because I am over 40 and I smoke a tobacco pipe.  And in that regard, he seemed fixated on those two factors.