Urology Expert Forum
Microphallus

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Microphallus

I am 22 years old have always thought that my male part was a little on the small side.  I know all of the averages and such but I feel that I am well under them for length and width etc.  I recently heard of a condition called microphallus and have been to shy to bring this up at the doctors office.  I was wondering about it what is it, what causes it,  and most of all is it reversable at my age.  My size fully erect is only 3 1/2 inches.  It seems to be normal accept for the size.  I have a fairly normal sex life and I do have a daughter so everything seems to be working normally.  My wife says that there is no problem and that it is all in my head but  I feel that there is something wrong for it to be so small.  I tell her that it has not changed since I was about 12 or 13 years old but she does not believe me.  I forgot to mention that I do have a lump on each one of my testicles.  The lumps have been there for as long as I can remember and do not hurt.  My doctor has checked these through physical examination and says that they are nothing to worry about.  Could this cause my problem or is it just in my head.  Any information that you give would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ron
Thanks for your question.
The  normal adult Caucasian stretched penile length ranged between 9 - 19 cm from top base to the tip.    The average length was 14.5 cm.
Your 3 1/2 inches equals 9 CMS. if you are measuring it correctly.  Some men have pubic fat pads which decrease their apparent length.   Penile augmentation surgery is offered at a few institutions but often have unsatisfactory cosmetic results. This procedure mainly adds to the width not the length. The erect length is unchanged.
The lump on the testicle should be monitored closely with self testicular or by your M.D.  It usually does not have any connection to the penis size.    
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians
A related discussion, Small Penis was started.
A related discussion, Micropenis was started.