Urology Community
Mucous in Urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Mucous in Urine

I had been treated for a staph infection. (Coag Neg Staph). It had infected my penis, testicles, bladder, ureathera. 3 weeks of meds Ceftraxone 1 shot 3.5 weeks ago and 2 weeks of Cravit 3 days x 500mg plus 2 weeks x 250. The doc was treating me for chonic prostitits. I also took cipro, flagyl, doxy and zithromax prior to the shot but none were useful against staph. Durring that the doc also thought an opprotunistic yeast infection got involved. I took 5 days of diflucan and it seemed to have helped.

I did comply with the meds.
I did have a discharge...which I still have in the morning, but this seems to be after I urinate and go back to bed. I think it may be dried mucous. It's a clear  discharge that dries white and can be peeled off, about the size of the tip of a pencil in 2 or 3 spots. Normally when I urinate, I can capture some clear mucous in a tissue. It's not a large amount but non the less worrysome.

I assume that it is a result of the infection and should dissapear in a few more days. I'm going back in a couple days to have a follow up. I don't have many symptoms left from the infection. ie. pain, swelling, ***** discharge.

I do have a pain in the tip of the penis, which is still red inside the top half  of ureathera, but it is getting better day by day and the discharge as mentioned above (it used to be the entire inside a week ago).

I have gone back and forth from diarhea (diarrhea) to constipation with lots of gas. But I attribute that to the meds I have been on.
Three days now with no meds and its begining to pass out of my system. So its hard to say my bladder is uncomfortable its my whole lower stomach. Deficating and passing gas helps. Each day seems better.

Questions?
1) Is the mucous likely an after effect of the infection and meds. It's seems to be getting smaller and less frequent.
2) I'm drinking Cranberry, OJ and lots of water to flush my system as well as an additional 1-2 cups of coffee for my fix. Could the acidity be a contributing factor in causing mucous?
3) Is the discharge possibly mucous? Or what else can cause such a unique discharge?
4) Could Herpes be involved? (I was infected through oral sex)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Recent urination can make the discharge appear less purulent. When the infection begins to resolve, the discharge changes from purulent to mucoid (mucus-like). Your antibiotics seems to be working. It's good you drink plenty of water. In herpes, flu-like symptoms as well as swollen glands, headache, muscle ache or fever usually are observed. If Herpes infects the urethra,   a burning sensation may be observed during urination.

Take care and please do update us on your follow-up.
No meds for 5 days
No infection present in urine test (first pee of the morning)
No discomfort in groin or other areas
No swollen glands
Nothing visably wrong

Still have clear mucous in my moring pee although less than last 5 days earlier.
Discomfort in the tip of my penis...it's mainly in my  head I think.
Intestinal discomfort---> five weeks of antibiotic treatment...will take a few days to get back to normal after killing all those good bacteria

Doc says not to worry
He said I have graduated and need not come back and see him unless something serious comes up.

I'm gonna do just that.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
That's great! It's good to know that there is no more infection and discomfort. Just make sure you continue drinking plenty of water, cranberry and orange juice. Make sure you are getting vitamin C in your diet, either through food or supplements. Urinate every two to three hours or when there is an urge to go. Keeping urine in your bladder for long periods gives bacteria a place to grow.

Take care and regards.
Not out of the woods yet, so to speak.
Every morning this weekend and monday a clear discharge. That's not in my head. I went back to the doc, he did a routine urine culture. I'll get the results on Friday. I also got a swab to take home and do myself in the morning. Should get the results on Friday too. I hope its the result of the morning erection and the interesting dreams I had. If not....I'm gonna loose it if its still an infection. I've been sick for 2 months now! Can't even tell my partner... I'm faking impotence from stress!!! Arrghh....Ok got it out of my system. I'll be fine.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you have results for the urine culture? Do you still have the clear discharge in the mornings? I hope everything will be fine. Just continue drinking plenty of water and you are getting enough vitamin C  in your food or supplements.

Take care and keep us posted.