Urology Community
My husband's semen smell very strong like ammonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I have searched online for this topic and have not found anything that pertains to it.  My husband's semen smells so strong like ammonia, that I can smell it when he has an erection, fully clothed, when I am two feet away.  It has been like this since we first started dating.  He is only 24 years old.  His semen also has chunks in it.  Is this normal?  He had a vasectomy so that we wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant.  When we do not use condoms, I smell for days like his semen, even after a shower or two.  Is it normal to smell this strong like ammonia?  Is there anything that can help?  He is overweight, does that matter?  Please, doctors, I need an answer.
I have the same problem from time to time. But the smell is not so much from semen as from the genital discharge during arousal. However, when it happens I do have very frequent urination (every hour), and no other symptoms of UTI.
The smell is extremely sharp.
My first guess was that it was produced by some bacteria in the urinary track, which secrete urease and degrade urea into ammonia. I know two types of urinary bacteria that can do this: Ureaplasma and Proteus. Neither was found when I did tests. But actually I had some concerns about that laboratory.
I have read quite many notes in the Internet, where people say it's normal when urine smells like ammonia, that it may be due to diet or exercise. I think it's ********. Urea needs some catalyst to break down. Without urease, production of so much ammonia is virtually impossible. So there should be some microbe producing urease inside the genital track, colonizing it. I wonder why there is no information on this subject in the web.