My urine has an ammonia smell
I've noticed that from time to time, but becoming more frequent, my urine has a strong ammonia smell. The color is fairly normal - clear to golden - but the smell is there!  I don't have pain or burning while urinating nor do I go to the toilet more often than usual.  So what can be the cause?  Thanks for any ideas.
      How are you? Ammonia smell in urine could be due to bacterial infection in the urinary tract without regular symptoms of UTI, dehydration, consumption of red meat or high protein foods.
I would suggest that you get a urine analysis with culture and visit a urologist for further confirmation.
Best.
I have the same problem with the ammonia smell in urine? All tests and color are fine. I don"t drink water. Tea and diet soda's. I have no insurance to go to urologist. Is there anything over the counter for cure? It is terrible. Thanks
      How are you? It is difficult to analyse without examination. But you can write down the amount bof fluid intake and output per day to check if there is any dehydration, as this could be the common cause if there is no infection.
Also, avoid diet soda and see if the smell persists. It would be better to visit a urologist in either case.
Best.
I just start the treatment of Rituxan on Thursday 5/6/10 and today I have a foul urine smell like ammonia.  I have no difficulty in urinating or frequency.  The urine looks clear and not foggy as I am drinking lots of water.  What do you think this odor is?  Should I be concerned?

Thank you,

I'm on the medication rabeprazole. Does this cause the urine to smell like ammonia?
I am 21 years old and for the last 2 months i have been on and off my period every other week and a very strong ammonia smell to my urine. I have an apt. set up but its in 2 months. Is this something i should be concerned about?
I am very active in running and watch my diet closely.. However I have to take a low dose of Pravastatin due to the side affects I get for muscle pain.  I have notice a strong odor in my urine for awhile now and can not figure out why.. I drink plenty of water..
i have been on predisolone tablets now my urine is smelling of amonia,Why?