Urology Expert Forum
New name for an old disease?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

New name for an old disease?

: : In the early 80's I had first a punch biopsy, then a strip biopsy performed on my bladder due to repeated, acute UTIs.  I was told the strip biopsy confirmed I had "Necrotizing Cystitus", but not "Acute Necrotizing Cystitus".  The difference, I was told, was the Acute form meant the bladder was literally being 'eaten' by the disease.  I was told to avoid baths, scented or colored toilet paper, and oral sex.
  : : Two years ago, another urologist was confused by this diagnosis, and discussed it thoroughly.  He had never heard of Necrotizing Cystitus, but believed I was describing a form of Interstitial Cystitus.  Both had told me I would have cancer of the bladder if I didn;t stop smoking.  I was sent to the utologist 2 years ago because I woke up passing blood in my urine, along with pain.  As the GP put it, "Gross Hematuria".  No cause was ever found.  A cystoscopy was not performed since I had no insurance and could not afford it.
  : : Is this new diagnosis the 'new name' for the old?  have you ever heard of necrotizing cystitus?  Is there anything I can do, besides drink lots of cranberry juice?
  : ---------------------------------------------------------------
  : Thanks Mithranda for your question.  
  : Necrotizing cystitis is a rare form of very severe interstitial cystitis, when the bladder wall is so inflamed it becomes infected with bacteria and cell death occurs .  This is a serious condition and is a indication for removing the bladder surgically.  The word acute, literally means
1 Comment
A related discussion, necrotizing cystitis was started.