New name for an old disease?
  : : In the early 80's I had first a punch biopsy, then a strip biopsy performed on my bladder due to repeated, acute UTIs.  I was told the strip biopsy confirmed I had "Necrotizing Cystitus", but not "Acute Necrotizing Cystitus".  The difference, I was told, was the Acute form meant the bladder was literally being 'eaten' by the disease.  I was told to avoid baths, scented or colored toilet paper, and oral sex.
  : : Two years ago, another urologist was confused by this diagnosis, and discussed it thoroughly.  He had never heard of Necrotizing Cystitus, but believed I was describing a form of Interstitial Cystitus.  Both had told me I would have cancer of the bladder if I didn;t stop smoking.  I was sent to the utologist 2 years ago because I woke up passing blood in my urine, along with pain.  As the GP put it, "Gross Hematuria".  No cause was ever found.  A cystoscopy was not performed since I had no insurance and could not afford it.
  : : Is this new diagnosis the 'new name' for the old?  have you ever heard of necrotizing cystitus?  Is there anything I can do, besides drink lots of cranberry juice?
  : ---------------------------------------------------------------
  : Thanks Mithranda for your question.  
  : Necrotizing cystitis is a rare form of very severe interstitial cystitis, when the bladder wall is so inflamed it becomes infected with bacteria and cell death occurs .  This is a serious condition and is a indication for removing the bladder surgically.  The word acute, literally means
A related discussion, necrotizing cystitis was started.