Urology Community
Night time bladder pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Night time bladder pain

Greetings,
I am a 19 year old female and have been suffering from bladder pains, mostly at night, for the past 3 months. For a while, I was able to deal with them, but they have become progressively worse and usually keep me up for hours and hours and I wake up many times throughout the night to try and pee but nothing happens or very little. I tried cutting things out of my diet, like milk, which did help significantly, but now it is back pretty bad again (still not drinking milk). As for a little medical history, when I was 16-17 I did go through a year long period where I constantly had urinary tract infections, so I know what they are like and this does not seem the same. Also, this past summer, I had an ovarian cyst burst which caused extreme pain, HUGE swelling and I go  little to no explanation or prevention advice from the hospital. They did however charge me thousands of dollars, which I am still paying for. I am so desperate for advice, or help, but I really can't afford tons of medical bills, especially when they don't even do anything. My life, school, and work performance are suffering greatly do to lack of sleep, so any good advice/ explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cana
     How are you? One thing you need to confirm is whether you are having a UTI again because symptoms of pain, frequent urge to pass urine etc are related to infection. Confirmation can be done by urine analysis and culture. Also, the cause for recurrent UTI’s needs to  be evaluated. The common causes are interstitial cystitis and cystitis cystica. You need to get a cystoscopy done to confirm what it is.
Also, I think an ultrasound abdomen could fix the cause if it is gynaecologically related. Hope this information helps.
Best.
The symptoms of pain I am experiencing are not while I pee. There are no symptoms of burning, ect like a uti. I would say I am about 90 percent sure it is something else, unless UTI symptoms vary dramatically. I did have an ultrasound done last summer, which was part of a series of tests that were taken to discover the ruptured ovarian cyst. Thanks so much for your opinion, I will look for a doctor to perform the test.

Thanks again,
Cana
Hello... After reading your entry I have found myself having a lot of the same symptoms. I don't have much of a history of UTI's but have had kidney stones in the past. I am currently seeing a Urologist for these symptoms. If you don't mind my asking are you on the Depo shot (birth control). And if you are experiencing the same thing when you pee it kind of relieves the pain... is this true for you?
I've been experiencing the same thing for about a month.  I was hoping somebody had an answer for you. definately doesn't feel like a UTI, as I have had many in my life.  Just feels like an ache, like your bladder is full, when you lay down so you get up to pee and nothing or hardly anything.  If you get an answer, please post it, as I agree with you, everyone wants to give you a test, but nobody seems to be able to read them correctly.  
My experience has been very similar. For the past year or so I have had VERY frequent UTIs and it has been very frustrating. But this feels different. When I lay down at night it becomes much worse than it is during the day. It feels like my bladder is so full it's uncomfortable and at times painful, I get up to pee hoping that will relieve the pain but little or nothing comes out and there is no relief. I have been to my doctor and a gyno and they have told me they can't find anything wrong, I'm hoping to see a urologist soon but so far they all just look at me like I'm crazy.
My problem of bladder pain and right pelvic pain often accompanied by trapped wind has got a lot worse recently.  I am constantly having to get up to visit the loo during the night.  The pain gets worse and worse and forces me to go.  It isn't just the feeling of having a full bladder, it is really painful.  I have a history of endo but am in menopause and also have Diverculitis Disease and small Hiatus Hernia and Mid High Recoeteole (prolapse) plus am prone to Piles.  Gps think it might be adhesions and nerve pain pulling when bladder and bowel starts to fill.
Despite pain relief Co Drydamol or Paracetamol, Merbervine, Fybogel, Colpermin and sometimes Lactalose if particularly constipated made worse by Codeine pain relief, the bladder pain hurts and keeps me awake.  I just don't know what to do as sleep quality awful despite sleep tabs - any suggestions or advice appreciated, particularly from any specialist medical professional.
I'm having the same issues.  I suspect Interstitial Cystitis after reading a lot about it.  I just finished Catherine Simone's books and hope to find some relief there before it gets as bad as she describes.  Unfortunately, it doesn't sound as if the medical community is going to help.